sky freesat box doesn't switch on

This topic has been answered
Go to Answer
Runner
Post 1 of 6

sky freesat box doesn't switch on

My Amstrad Sky freesat box appears to have fried. It no longer responds to the 'on' button on the remote, and the sky card has scorch mark on the face, directly behind the chip. I've tried the reboot method given in previous threads without success. The box was installed in March 2007, and I believe the offer then was a box for life. Any suggestions?

Answer

Best Answers
Answer
Oracle
Post 2 of 6

Re: sky freesat box doesn't switch on

You could buy a replacement Sky box cheaply via eBay etc. Or consider a standard (non-Sky) Freesat box.

Edited to correct autocorrect.

All Replies
Answer
Oracle
Post 2 of 6

You could buy a replacement Sky box cheaply via eBay etc. Or consider a standard (non-Sky) Freesat box.

Edited to correct autocorrect.

Oracle
Post 3 of 6

Brown marks on the viewing card are from the resin used to glue both parts of the card together, they are not scorch marks and are totally normal

You should be able to find a cheap replacement box somewhere like ebay, look out for a DRX890 model as these are the ones that get software updates from Sky still (a DRX895 would be an alternate model but for freesat you’d not benefit from the bigger hard drive)

Note: Sky forum staff can be identified by the Sky icon next to their user names.
Email settings lookup tool
Runner
Post 4 of 6

and Mark39Re: sky freesat box doesn't switch on

Thanks Annie, and Mark39. Seems like a good solution. The box must be fried, because the rubber feet of a small tv sitting on it have melted, One box for recycling yard.!

Oracle
Post 5 of 6

Re: and Mark39Re: sky freesat box doesn't switch on

Your not supposed to put anything on top of a sky box as it can overheat

Note: Sky forum staff can be identified by the Sky icon next to their user names.
Email settings lookup tool
Runner
Post 6 of 6

Re: and Mark39Re: sky freesat box doesn't switch on

That appears to be correct, Annie. I learn by experience, and assumed it would be reasonable as the cooling vents are on the sides. But, hey-ho, seems I was lucky, so no more stacking for me!