Sky’s piracy crackdown could soon target an alarming number of users

Oracle
Post 1 of 4

Sky’s piracy crackdown could soon target an alarming number of users

Sky this week invested in Synamedia, a company that believes that password sharing can, in some cases, be considered a form of piracy.

read more

Note: Sky forum staff can be identified by the Sky icon next to their user names.
Email settings lookup tool
All Replies
Producer
Post 2 of 4

Re: Sky’s piracy crackdown could soon target an alarming number of users

@Annie+UK wrote:

Sky this week invested in Synamedia, a company that believes that password sharing can, in some cases, be considered a form of piracy.

read more

I only share my passwords with my wife. This is not any form of piracy.

Sky Q 2TB V1 -- LG 55UH850V UHD TV -- 1 Mini
Oracle
Post 3 of 4

@JonW42 wrote:

@Annie+UK wrote:

read more

I only share my passwords with my wife. This is not any form of piracy.

Don’t be daft, sharing with people who live at the same address is not the problem, it is when you share with other non-immediate family members or your friends

Note: Sky forum staff can be identified by the Sky icon next to their user names.
Email settings lookup tool
Editor
Post 4 of 4

Funnily enough a story this week suggested Netflix were having a similar crackdown:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/netflix-password-share-ai-tracker-syn...

Netflix T&Cs say:

"4.2. The Netflix service and any content viewed through the service are for your personal and non-commercial use only and may not be shared with individuals beyond your household."

Sky Go (for e.g) is based more on devices rather than accounts - can login up to 4 devices.  There is also an option for creating additional users which seems to be restricted to "household or family members".   Its a bit vague whats actually allowed though.  I was speaking to a non-technical friend who knew his son accessed Sky on his account at uni but had no idea how.  From what I can see, if that is within the limited number of devices, that would be within the T&Cs. 

------------------------------------------------