Netflix goes interactive

Highlighted
Executive Producer
Post 1 of 18

Netflix goes interactive

Anyone watched Charlie Brooker's latest Black Mirror episode, Bandersnatch on Netflix yet? If you haven't, put some time by for it because you could be watching for a long time ( even though the running time is listed as 90 minutes ). That's because this is an interactive episode where you get to decide, by using your remote, where you want the story to go. Make a wrong decision & you can find yourself right back at the beginning of the episode, this happened to us at least twice. Apparently, there are ten different endings ( you can find out about them with a quick google search ).

This is genius TV & maybe the way forward, though Charlie Brooker has ruled out ever doing it again as it was such a huge challenge to write & film. We really enjoyed it, it was fun to join in & make the decisions & the programme itself was very clever.

Be aware that the interactive part isn't available to watch on Apple TV or Google Chromecast.

Sky+HD 2TB STB - Samsung Q7 65" UHD HDR+ Smart TV - Samsung UBD-M7500 Ultra HD 4K Blu-ray Player HDR Advanced Smart - Samsung Sound+ HW-MS650 All in One Smart Soundbar - Samsung SWA-9000S Wireless Rear Speakers
Please see my Box Sets Expiry Dates List thread on the Entertainment board.
All Replies
Executive Producer
Post 2 of 18

Re: Netflix goes interactive

Not available on Apple TV? Rather odd Smiley Surprised

Executive Producer
Post 3 of 18

This from Wired - “The only notable devices excluded from running the interactive film at its launch will be Apple TV and Google Chromecast as Netflix didn’t have time to optimise the episodes for those platforms before its release.”  

This from Netflix - " According to the Netflix website, some devices don’t support Netflix’s interactive content and reads: ‘Interactive content is available on many newer devices, including smart TVs, streaming media players, game consoles, and iOS devices running the latest version of the Netflix app. ‘Android devices running Android 6.11 or later also support interactive content. "

This from Metro - " It’s been reported that devices that don’t support interactive content include the Windows App, old versions of Android and the Netflix app, Apple TV and Chromecast. "

Sky+HD 2TB STB - Samsung Q7 65" UHD HDR+ Smart TV - Samsung UBD-M7500 Ultra HD 4K Blu-ray Player HDR Advanced Smart - Samsung Sound+ HW-MS650 All in One Smart Soundbar - Samsung SWA-9000S Wireless Rear Speakers
Executive Producer
Post 4 of 18

Yeah I just tried on my Apple TV and it actually tells you it's not going to work. Guess I'll have to go find something else to view it on Smiley Mad

Executive Producer
Post 5 of 18

Netflix even email and tell you as well once playback starts. Nice of them.

Annotation 2019-01-04 190336.jpg

Executive Producer
Post 6 of 18

Well it's certainly very interesting. A bit hard to make some decisions, like the music ones, as I have no idea what the songs are or who sang them.

I don't like the father that much so you can probably guess what happened to him Smiley LOL

I've been sent back to change choices a few times so I'm guessing they're wrong.

Oracle
Post 7 of 18

Sounds interesting may have to have a look at this 😀😉😉

I may have an Oracle badge but i'm still just a customer

imagebam.com

imagebam.com

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, Sky Q Hub, all connected by wifi
Sky Boxset, multiscreen/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
Sky Fibre Unlimited, LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV
Oracle
Post 8 of 18

Reminds me a bit of the old Fighting Fantasy adventure books!

Executive Producer
Post 9 of 18

Does it work on a Sky Q box?

First Assistant Director
Post 10 of 18

@ianpaul1 wrote:

Does it work on a Sky Q box?

I just checked and it has the badge showing so I would say yes. Also, the Netflix app for LG WebOS also has the badge.

Sky Q 2TB V1 -- LG 55UH850V UHD TV -- 1 Mini
Executive Producer
Post 11 of 18

Apparently, there's an easter egg in the end credits, but because Netflix only gives you 4 seconds before they play something else, I wasn't quick enough to click on the credits to see them. I did try to watch again & f/fwd to the end, but this episode has a different f/fwd method to other Netflix shows & it's really hard to get to the end because it only f/fwds in allotted sections where decisions have to be made, & if you make the wrong one you're sent back to the beginning of the episode, so I gave up.

Executive Producer
Post 12 of 18

I got the easter egg ending but didn't know it was an easter egg until I Googled the endings.

It was a bit of a strange ending.

First Assistant Director
Post 13 of 18

@merv60 wrote:

Apparently, there's an easter egg in the end credits, but because Netflix only gives you 4 seconds before they play something else, I wasn't quick enough to click on the credits to see them. I did try to watch again & f/fwd to the end, but this episode has a different f/fwd method to other Netflix shows & it's really hard to get to the end because it only f/fwds in allotted sections where decisions have to be made, & if you make the wrong one you're sent back to the beginning of the episode, so I gave up.

Thanks for this. I've turned off auto-play for when I watch this.

Sky Q 2TB V1 -- LG 55UH850V UHD TV -- 1 Mini
Executive Producer
Post 14 of 18

@JonW42 wrote:

@merv60 wrote:

Thanks for this. I've turned off auto-play for when I watch this.

@JonW42 I've got Auto-Play turned off but it still went to another episode of Black Mirror after 4 seconds, despite the fact I've seen every other episode already.

Executive Producer
Post 15 of 18

I watched some of the other episodes last night. They are rather weird, especially the pig episode Smiley Surprised

Recommended Threads
01-11-2018 01:34 PM
02-11-2018 10:21 AM
07-12-2018 07:50 PM
01-11-2018 03:32 PM
06-11-2018 08:00 PM