Fan of Mark Kermode? You'll want to see this then.

Executive Producer
Post 1 of 10

Fan of Mark Kermode? You'll want to see this then.

Coming to BBC Four next month ( 17/7 ) is Mark Kermode's Secrets Of Cinema which will comprise of 5 one-hour long episodes with each one taking on a different genre of the cinema.

Here's the official blurb from Den Of Geek:

Mark Kermode presents a richly entertaining personal guide to cinema, told through some of the most popular film genres, including rom-coms, heist movies, science fiction and more. With his trademark blend of wit, passion and strong opinion, Mark explores the film-making techniques and storytelling secrets of an eclectic selection of movies - from Hollywood classics to the best of global cinema, from big budget blockbusters to art-house gems.

Mark will focus on a single well-loved genre in each episode. He’ll examine a wide range of films and uncover the key elements they all share, while showing how film-makers have put on their own spin to keep these genres thriving – and to keep audiences coming back for more.

Whether he’s demonstrating how to stage the perfect 'meet cute' in a rom-com or to pull off the perfect bank robbery, to create a shocking jump scare in a horror movie or a convincing science fiction future, Mark will help you look at your favourite films with fresh eyes and open your mind to new cinematic treasures.

I am already excited, Mark Kermode is the only film critic that matters imho, really looking forward to this series.

Sky+HD 2TB STB - 46" 3DLEDHDTV - 3D Blu ray player/HCS.
Please see my Box Sets Expiry Dates List thread on the Entertainment board.
All Replies
Camera Assistant
Post 2 of 10

Re: Fan of Mark Kermode? You'll want to see this then.

There's been a few attempts at this kind of thing over the years, which for me have never quite hit the mark (pun intended).

Hopefully 5 full 1hr episodes from the man himself will prove to be definitive.

Cheers Merv, looking forward to this. Smiley Happy
Executive Producer
Post 3 of 10

@gymno74 Have you read his books, It's Only A Movie, - The Good, The Bad And The Multiplex - and Hatchet Job? All 3 are worth reading if you like the man himself. Also, here's a link to his vlogs on iPlayer, lots of good, short videos on there to enjoy: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/markkermode

Executive Producer
Post 4 of 10

Not one for me, unfortunately. I find him rather superior, and annoying in the extreme I’m afraid. Each to their own.......

Camera Assistant
Post 5 of 10

I'm a big reader & film fan @merv60 but never read books about film for some reason.
I think maybe one about the matrix trilogy must have put me off. Smiley Happy

Thanks for the vlog link.
Haven't seen any of those but do watch some of the reviews he does with Simon Mayo on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/kermodeandmayo
Executive Producer
Post 6 of 10

@merv60 wrote:

@gymno74 Have you read his books, It's Only A Movie, - The Good, The Bad And The Multiplex - and Hatchet Job? All 3 are worth reading if you like the man himself. Also, here's a link to his vlogs on iPlayer, lots of good, short videos on there to enjoy: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/markkermode

@gymno74 I've had a notification & an email today saying you had replied, presumably to the above post, but it isn't here. Any idea what happened?

Camera Assistant
Post 7 of 10

No sorry mate, no idea.

Guess it must be the mysterious "spam filter" which all the "I don't work for sky" types go on about.
Camera Assistant
Post 8 of 10

Ah, now i see.

The spam filter has completely blocked me out for some reason & so any post i make now disappears almost immediately after sending it.

I suppose that what with everything else going on in the world politically regarding fake news etc, it's not surprising that the forum admin feel free to employ a policy of censorship based on apparent nonsense rather than logic.

Seriously, how many more years can forum members / readers be expected to buy the excuse that "the spam filter isn't right"?
Executive Producer
Post 9 of 10

This starts next Tuesday at 9 pm with a repeat at 2.45 am ( Wednesday ) so you can set it to record now if you wish.

Camera Assistant
Post 10 of 10

First episode?

Not too bad. I'd give it a 6.5 / 10 but then i'm not into romcom's at all.

Hopefully episode 2 will be nearer the mark, subject - heist movies. Smiley Happy