BBC to offer UHD Wimbledon coverage on Sky Q

Answered
Go to Answer
Community Manager
Post 1 of 19

BBC to offer UHD Wimbledon coverage on Sky Q

G. Muguruza.jpgGarbine Muguruza will defend her Wimbledon ladies' singles title at this year's event

Sky Q users are set to become the latest group of viewers able to take part in the BBC's UHD tests this summer.

The BBC has confirmed that Sky Q users will be able to access UHD/4K coverage from this year's Wimbledon tournament, although there will be no support for HDR. Users will see a pop-up that will allow them to select UHD coverage.

See Wimbledon tennis to be screened in 4K HDR by BBC for more information.

Federica-C
Community Manager

Take a look at the latest exclusive Sky customer offers
Answer

Best Answers
Answer
Director of Photography
Post 8 of 19

Re: BBC to offer UHD Wimbledon coverage on Sky Q

@Tymo wrote:

OK, so I'm watching the women's semi final of Wimbledon on my Sky Q 2TB box and have no pop up with a UHD stream.  I get the iplayer red button, but that offers HD only.  Should I be getting the option of a UHD stream? 

In order to watch the UHD d=stream from the Q box, you have to be watching BBC One. I have it on now.

However, it does look washed out compared to the BBC iPlayer UHD/HLG stream.

Sky Q 2TB V1 -- LG 55UH850V UHD TV -- 1 Mini
All Replies
Director of Photography
Post 2 of 19

I just watched some of the Federer match from center court and yet I could not find a UHD stream on Sky or BBC's stream. How do I find a UHD version of Wimbledon 2018?

Oracle
Post 3 of 19

@JonW42 wrote:

I just watched some of the Federer match from center court and yet I could not find a UHD stream on Sky or BBC's stream. How do I find a UHD version of Wimbledon 2018?

@JonW42 Only the Ladies and Men's semi finals and finals will be available on Sky. I'm guessing if the BBC are showing a match in  UHD it will be as with the Football and through iPlayer

I may have an Oracle badge but i'm still just a customer

imagebam.com

Director of Photography
Post 4 of 19

@Laing1 wrote:

@JonW42 wrote:

@JonW42 Only the Ladies and Men's semi finals and finals will be available on Sky. I'm guessing if the BBC are showing a match in  UHD it will be as with the Football and through iPlayer

I did find the BBC UHD stream. But it wasn't as prominent as the World Cup. The first link to the Tennis was not UHD. Had to scroll down to find a smaller link with UHD.

Researcher
Post 5 of 19

OK, so I'm watching the women's semi final of Wimbledon on my Sky Q 2TB box and have no pop up with a UHD stream.  I get the iplayer red button, but that offers HD only.  Should I be getting the option of a UHD stream? 

Runner
Post 6 of 19

I;m watching the first of the Ladies semi-finals and can see no note, link or mention of a UHD feed.  What am I to look for?

I have Sky Q T2 and a 4K Samsung TV

Runner
Post 7 of 19

Same problem here too. 

The only pop up i get on the screen is for the red button but that only has HD or SD options. 

I thought it would be like the F1 channel which shows the UHD option more or less straight away. 

Update.  Just changed channel a few times and on going back to bbc 1 the option for watch in UHD popped up at the bottom of the screen. 

Answer
Director of Photography
Post 8 of 19

@Tymo wrote:

In order to watch the UHD d=stream from the Q box, you have to be watching BBC One. I have it on now.

However, it does look washed out compared to the BBC iPlayer UHD/HLG stream.

Researcher
Post 9 of 19

Thanks, got it now.  Agreed, does look washed out. 

Director of Photography
Post 10 of 19

@Tymo wrote:

I think the BBC One broadcast in HD is a bit too saturdated and the UHD iPlayer version looks pretty good.

Oracle
Post 11 of 19

@JonW42 wrote:

@Tymo wrote:

I think the BBC One broadcast in HD is a bit too saturdated and the UHD iPlayer version looks pretty good.

You have to remember that if the iPlayer version is in HLG then of course it will look better than the Sky UHD version. It would be the same if it was the other way round. You cannot compare something that Is in HLG UHD to UHD fairly

My Opinions Are My Own And Do Not Reflect Those Of Sky.

imagebam.com
Director of Photography
Post 12 of 19

@Dazzasky wrote:

@JonW42 wrote:

@Tymo wrote:

You have to remember that if the iPlayer version is in HLG then of course it will look better than the Sky UHD version. It would be the same if it was the other way round. You cannot compare something that Is in HLG UHD to UHD fairly

I wasn't comparing the Sky BBC UHD Tennis to the BBC iPlayer UHD Tennis. The Sky BBC UHD Tennis does look washed out. It's not because of HLG. The HLG is not as good as it should be. The Sky BBC HD Tennis is oversaturated. The HLG version should be the non-HLG version and the HLG version should be better then it is.

Researcher
Post 13 of 19

I agree that it is washed out and the BBC have got something wrong. The BBC has claimed that HLG gives reasonable quality on a SRD tv but I don't think it is compatable enough. On the BBC R&D site they do mention that they have to do some conversion to get a reasonable picture. The host broacaster is no long the BBC as Wimbledon is doing it's own hosting. The HD SDR version looks good so it is odd that the the UHD picture is so poor.

Sound Supervisor
Post 14 of 19

I’ve been watching the UHD version on my Sky Q 2 TB box looks washed out, switched back to BBC 1 HD far better, my tv is a Panasonic 50” TX-CX680 UHD tv

Director of Photography
Post 15 of 19

I have watched a few games (literally not even a set) on BBC 2 UHD tonight and I have to say it looked brilliant on my Sony ...

Recommended Threads
11-11-2018 11:14 AM
a week ago 09:05 AM
29-10-2018 07:09 PM
SVaug 16-10-2018 02:07 PM
28-08-2018 07:58 PM