Discussion topic: Re: Sky email not working in outlook, windows mail or Thunderbird

This message was authored by Chris173 This message was authored by: Chris173

Re: Sky email not working in outlook, windows mail or Thunderbird

For some weeks now, I have been having problems accessing my sky emails with Thunderbird on Windows 11. On some occasions, all is fine, but on other occasions I cannot access my emails and am asked to re-insert the Sky password, to no effect. Repeated attempts brings up a message to say that the  server has dropped out. When trying again some time later, everything works. Have tried using the Sky server 'imap.tools.sky.com' and the Yahoo server 'export.imap.mail.yahoo.com'.  Really do not want to change from Thunderbird as I have lots of stuff on it. Any ideas gratefully received.

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Chris173 wrote:

Have tried using the Sky server 'imap.tools.sky.com' and the Yahoo server 'export.imap.mail.yahoo.com'.

There is no export in the Yahoo server as it is just imap.mail.yahoo.com

Have you tried a generated password with Thunderbird that you can create here:

https://www.sky.com/sky-yahoo-mail/manage-apps?client=email

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
Chris173
Topic Author

Have altered the server definition as suggested and there is no difference in behaviour. For both definitions, sometimes Thunderbird obtains my emails and sometimes it says it cannot. with the message 'Login to server imap.mail.yahoo.com with username xxxxx failed'. If I try again later, it will probably work. Should say that I have three Sky email addresses,  each with a different password. Most odd.

Chris173
Topic Author

Have checked again today and, when using Thunderbird, it appears that using Sky emails is unreliable. Sometimes all is ok and sometimes the email server drops out (imap.mail.yahoo.com on Port 993 with SSL/TLS) . I cannot be the only user with this problem. Or should we just not be using Thunderbird. Have no problem with Btinternet or Virgin Media emails, but to change all my email addresses would be a big job. Please can anyone help.

Chris173
Topic Author

Am afraid that it appears that there is something very wrong with using Sky emails. Have tried on two different computers, one with Windows 10 and one with Windows 11. On each sometimes all is OK and sometimes not as described above. Have spent a lot of time to trying resolve and conclude that there is some thing very amiss with Sky/Yahoo.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

I doubt there's anything wrong with Sky Yahoo Mail per se. Accessing Sky Yahoo Mail via a mail app can present additional complications which are more likely to blame. You shouldn't have any difficulty logging in here, using your browser: https://www.sky.com/signin/email

Chris173
Topic Author

Thanks for the last reply. To use the Sky email web page is certainly an option. What seems to be happening (I think) is that the connection to the server is reliable in the mornings (UK time), but becomes unreliable by mid afternoon. Am considering next step. Thanks again.

Chris173
Topic Author

Having slept on this problem, am wondering if the cause is traffic volume on the Sky or Yahoo server, or both? The problem has only appeared over the last month or so and on a week day afternoon and evening.  Any ideas, anyone? In the mornings the connection is reliable.  Really do want to continue using Thunderbird as this option is very much more convenient. Will also take up with Thunderbird help.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion