No known problems with Sky but can't access my email account

Researcher
Post 1 of 14

No known problems with Sky but can't access my email account

My partner is having no problems with her primary account but in my secondary account I keep getting password and user not recognised. I checked for known Sky problems and there are none. Usually this happens when upgrades are going on but this time there doesn't seem to be any. Any ideas?

All Replies
Oracle
Post 2 of 14

Re: No known problems with Sky but can't access my email account

Hi @TonySandy

How ar you accessing your emails do you login to Sky.com or a program like Outlook, if it is the later what happens when you login here:

https://skyid.sky.com/signin/email/

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Researcher
Post 3 of 14

I have a similar problem when trying to access my emails from my laptop.  I have a sky account and a yahoo account.  I can access both accounts through sky and yahoo, but no longer on my laptop through outlook.  I had a security subscription with Bulldog up until yesterday I now have Mcafee through my sky subscription.  Is it possible that the cancellation of Bulldog has caused this problem.  Bulldog ceased yesterday. No outlook today.

Oracle
Post 4 of 14

@lancashirelass

What happens when you try to access your emails via Outlook do you get an error message and if so what does it say ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

I do not work for Sky.
Researcher
Post 5 of 14

What I will say before trying out any suggestions here  is that I can access my emails via Sky/Yahoo on their site but not on any of my devices, that is desk top computer, Kindle Fire or phone. They all stopped at the same time. It is inconvenient having to sign into Sky everytime I want to check my mail and adjusting the settings on my computer made no difference.

Researcher
Post 6 of 14

Another thing that I have just thought of is that when site upgrades occur, this kind of disruption happens but this doesn't seem to be the case here.

I would suggest though that when upgrades do occur, Sky sends round a blanket email to all customers so that they know what is happening and when, so panic and confusion is minimised.

Researcher
Post 7 of 14

A friend has just pointed out that my account seems to have been hijacked as there are three new symbols in front of my name - an 'I' with an umlaut, that is two dots over it, two side arrows >> and an upside down question mark as the Spanish use. I also noticed several spam emails of the naughty ladies type. How do I handle this now? Does anyone here have a suggestion or is it reboot time or contact my software support engineer for advice?

Community Manager
Post 8 of 14

Hi Tony,

Do the symbols you described now appear to be part of your email address?

Do these symbols also appear when logged into the Sky website?

The email you sent to your friend, was it sent via the Sky website, or via an email client?

Do emails sent directly from Sky's website include these symbols?

https://skyid.sky.com/signin/email/

Mark
Community Manager

Take a look at the latest exclusive Sky customer offers
Researcher
Post 9 of 14

Yes they appear here and on my computer. Replies show the same symbols. The friend who noticed the symbols was contacted via my computer and phone.

Would changing my password here or on my computer make any difference? Do I need to cancel my account or add a new one first, then delete the old one?

Researcher
Post 10 of 14

Further to my problems yesterday and the no email saga last night I decided to uninstall some items I no longer use.  I noticed that Bulldog was still in the background so decided that could go, I started to uninstall and was asked if I wanted to keep the set up in case I changed my mind. No chance so carried on unistalling. Then when I finished before I closed down I thought I would have another attempt at my emails.  Lo and behold there they were,  now is it possible this had something to do with the fact that I had cancelled the Bulldog security system?? The problem only occured after the Bulldog contract ended and came back when I uninstalled Bulldog

Oracle
Post 11 of 14

I would say so @lancashirelass as it might have been set up so it scans and checks your emails prior to downloading.

I do not work for Sky.
Community Manager
Post 12 of 14

@TonySandy wrote:

Yes they appear here and on my computer. Replies show the same symbols. The friend who noticed the symbols was contacted via my computer and phone.

Would changing my password here or on my computer make any difference? Do I need to cancel my account or add a new one first, then delete the old one?

Morning,

Once an email address has been set up, it isn't possible to change it (including adding additional symbols).

I do wonder if the additional symbols are being caused by some sort of compatibility issue?

Having said that, if you have reports of friends receiving emails which you have not sent, I would look into any potential malware on your device(s) and also consider changing your Sky ID password.

Mark
Community Manager

Take a look at the latest exclusive Sky customer offers
Editor
Post 13 of 14

Tony.

If the spurious characters do not appear in the email address i.e. the bit before the @Sky.com, but do appear in the "sending name" they can be edited out by going to "settings","accounts","sky yahoo" and changing "your name".

Edit, thought I'd aswered this one before:

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Archived-Discussions/my-email-address/m-p/2359799

Runner
Post 14 of 14

This happened to us. 

We’d changed our password for our account, but not updated it in our settings on our devices.