Discussion topic: Cant sign into email

This message was authored by tillyjenny This message was authored by: tillyjenny

Cant sign into email

Trying to log in, keeps sending a code to a mobile number that I no longer have access to and sky supposedly took off the account back in January - then suggests using the code when I set up 2 factor authentication but I can't remember even doing that. Tried calling sky 3 times, on phone over an hour each time and no one can help apparently.

Tried accessing on iPad, iPhone and laptop

Best Answers
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39 Answer

Re: Cant sign into email

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@tillyjenny wrote:

@jayach @Mark39 - I'm really sorry to bother you again, I managed to get outlook but now I'm stuck, I've tried to add a new account, I enter the sky email address and it takes me to a yahoo page to sign in, so I press no yahoo at the top and it takes me to another page which gives me the option of Microsoft, Google, outlook, exchange, yahoo,  imap and icloud. I've tried yahoo but asks for password, so I tried that password generator and it didn't work. I've tried using the settings in that post you linked me to on the imap option but doesn't work.

No apology needed. At the end of the list of options when you've selected 'not yahoo', you'll see the IMAP,and POP options. Just click IMAP and then complete the details @caesarome posted. I've just set up Sky Yahoo Mail on Outlook myself so it does work, but you do have to enter all the details correctly.

It's Sky who should be supporting you with this, not Yahoo, and certainly not the premium option you have to pay for. The problem is that Sky advisers seem not to know much about Sky Yahoo Mail.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Changing or removing the mobile number from your Sky account, doesn't affect the mobile number you gave when you set up 2 factor authentication (2FA).

I'm assuming from your post, that you haven't kept a separate note of the Recovery Code, as Sky recommend when you set up 2FA. If that's the case, only Sky can sort this out for you, but finding an adviser who knows how to help may be a challenge.

See the bit in the box in Sky's help here: https://www.sky.com/help/home/sky-yahoo-mail/two-step-verif/articles/two-step-verification

tillyjenny
Topic Author
This message was authored by tillyjenny This message was authored by: tillyjenny

@Mark39 that's the thing though, account was set up so long ago - 2013 that I don't think I did set up 2FA - I've never had to use a code until 3 days ago, then I contacted sky immediately and tried daily since then. 

@tillyjenny wrote:

@Mark39 that's the thing though, account was set up so long ago - 2013 that I don't think I did set up 2FA - I've never had to use a code until 3 days ago, then I contacted sky immediately and tried daily since then. 

2FA has only been available for the past year (probably less than that). It's very easy to set it up inadvertently when logging in via sky.com

tillyjenny
Topic Author

Have spent 4 hrs on the phone to sky who have passed me around - spoke to 14 people none of whom can help. They just keep saying ask the person who has the old phone number for the code, but that person is my abusive ex husband who has a restraining order out against them. I'm at my wits end, there are emails in there that are incredibly sentimental plus folders with tickets. Is there anything else I can do

This message was authored by jayach This message was authored by: jayach

@tillyjenny 

There should be an alternative method of accessing your email that doesn't need the verification code.

It will require using an app/client to access the email using a generated password.

So what devices do you have you can use to install the app/client on?

Edit: As you don't remember setting up the 2FA, did your ex-partner know your password, perhaps they deliberatly set it up out of spite?

@jayach wrote:

Edit: As you don't remember setting up the 2FA, did your ex-partner know your password, perhaps they deliberatly set it up out of spite?

Yes, that occurred to me too given the circumstances.

tillyjenny
Topic Author

I did change the password but he is very technical whereas I'm not,  I wouldn't put anything past him sadly, in our 30 yrs together he was very controlling and had tracking installed on my phone and somehow on my car. Hence why I left that phone behind - a friend did do a factory reset? before I went.
I have the iPad which is where I usually access the emails via Google browser ( tried safari too ) and an iPhone SE that I tried to access it via when I couldn't via iPad. I am sorry, I'm really not technical at all. One of the things I'm starting in September is a computer course for the over 50s 🥴

Good luck with the course.

In the meantime I would suggest trying installing Outlook on the tablet or phone and setting it up as @caesarome describes here: 

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Email/Duplication-of-sent-emails/m-p/4582570#M98631

If you are able to get into the email account you may then be able to find the email with your recovery code and switch the 2FA off.

tillyjenny
Topic Author

@jayach @Mark39 - I'm really sorry to bother you again, I managed to get outlook but now I'm stuck, I've tried to add a new account, I enter the sky email address and it takes me to a yahoo page to sign in, so I press no yahoo at the top and it takes me to another page which gives me the option of Microsoft, Google, outlook, exchange, yahoo,  imap and icloud. I've tried yahoo but asks for password, so I tried that password generator and it didn't work. I've tried using the settings in that post you linked me to on the imap option but doesn't work. I've rung sky every day, 4 hrs on the phone again yesterday and they keep telling me it's only yahoo who can help and put me through to a number who wants my credit card details as a premium help service, they then put me through to another dept but they say they  cant help and sky can, so the cycle starts again. I know it's my fault and I'm beating myself up for it. Do you think taking the iPad to someone in a computer shop would help? Sorry

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@tillyjenny 

Try selecting imap or other and use these settings:

Select either "Other" or "Not Yahoo" then use these settings:

Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server

Server - imap.tools.sky.com
Port - 993
Requires SSL - Yes

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server

Server - smtp.tools.sky.com
Port - 465
Requires SSL - Yes
Requires authentication - Yes

You will then need to generate a 16 digit password and use that instead of your usual one, you can do that here:
https://www.sky.com/sky-yahoo-mail/manage-apps?client=email

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
tillyjenny
Topic Author

It asks for an imap password and an smtp password too - I used that link and generated but said not recognised - I am so sorry 😢

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39 Answer

@tillyjenny wrote:

@jayach @Mark39 - I'm really sorry to bother you again, I managed to get outlook but now I'm stuck, I've tried to add a new account, I enter the sky email address and it takes me to a yahoo page to sign in, so I press no yahoo at the top and it takes me to another page which gives me the option of Microsoft, Google, outlook, exchange, yahoo,  imap and icloud. I've tried yahoo but asks for password, so I tried that password generator and it didn't work. I've tried using the settings in that post you linked me to on the imap option but doesn't work.

No apology needed. At the end of the list of options when you've selected 'not yahoo', you'll see the IMAP,and POP options. Just click IMAP and then complete the details @caesarome posted. I've just set up Sky Yahoo Mail on Outlook myself so it does work, but you do have to enter all the details correctly.

It's Sky who should be supporting you with this, not Yahoo, and certainly not the premium option you have to pay for. The problem is that Sky advisers seem not to know much about Sky Yahoo Mail.

tillyjenny
Topic Author

Thank you all so much, I've managed to add it on to outlook - can't thank you enough for all the help! 

Well done, it's not easy when you are not "technical".

Now you have access, can you find the original email with your recovery code?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion