Discussion topic: changing wifi password on broadband hub

This message was authored by Katey+Y This message was authored by: Katey+Y

changing wifi password on broadband hub

HI - we have 2 slightly frustrating issues and hoping someone can help!

1/ we have the new ultrafast broadband hub.  I wanted to change the wifi password which should be really simple but when i access the router via 192.168... i can enter the admin + password from the back of the hub...so far so good.  But when i go to chnage password on the WPA2/PSK on the wifi tab...and enter a new password you get logged out when you press apply,  but login is only possible via the default user admin and default password and not the new one?  Ive also tried changing the password via the maintenance tab and set password.  Same issue again.  It appears not possible to be able to change the password from the default admin password on the back of the hub.  That cant be right?  Note - internet connection is fine its just im trying to make it a bit more secure so people can't easily get into our network

2/ With the old hub i could connect my lan cable from the hub to my macbook and run a faster wired connection.  With the new hub when i connect via LAN there is no internet.  I think all the settings on the hub that should enable a LAN connection are ok and nothing has changed on my laptop from before which should prevent it connecting.  any suggestions on what to check for?

thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

Re: changing wifi password on broadband hub

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Katey+Y 

As I understand it, changing the Wi-Fi password once in the Hub, doesn't change the log in password to access the hub. 

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
Katey+Y
Topic Author

thanks @Skull+Treaty .

if thats the case then how do i change the login password to access the hub, as at the moment its easy for someone to access the hub (via the default admin/password) and from there they can see/change the wifi password?

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

@Katey+Y 

Im not there is a way, it's been many years since I've used a Sky Hub. 
Access will only be available if someone knows the password or can see it printed on it...and be connected to that network. 
I'll be corrected if there is a way to change that password. 

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@Katey+YHow are you connecting to change the password on the new router, is this being done via a wired connection or wireless?

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.

Katey+Y
Topic Author

@Highlinder - thanks.

we are changing the password via wireless as the wired connection from my macbook to the new hub/router doesnt seem to work for some reason.  not sure why - it worked perfectly fine with the old sky router. any thoughts?

This message was authored by TomThumb5ive This message was authored by: TomThumb5ive

@Katey+Y  There is a known bug  between sky's routers & it's gui & all things Apple 🍏 

A wired connection is preferable 👍 but anything that is Android  or Microsoft should see you thru without issue 👌

Tom...

Sky want us to believe in better
BELIEVE =accept that (something) is true, especially without proof.
BETTER = of a higher standard, or more suitable, pleasing, or effective than other things or people:

Sky Q & 2 mini’s
SR203 router. > Replaced with ASUS XT9’s with a TP-Link TD-W9970 modem
Sky superfast 80/20 :sort of, 63-75/15. Devolo 1200 wifi > Replaced with cat 6
Sony KDAF8 65 oled.
This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@Katey+YCould you try it on the wired device on a browser like chrome to see if this would work.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Katey+Y 

Changing the WiFi password for clients to connect with can be done on the following menu 

WiFi > WPA2-PSK Security Encryption

Changing the admin password to login to the routers interface can be done on the following menu

Maintenance > Set Password

Both of these steps may not work on an iOS device or even a WiFi connected device.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion