Xbox one will not connect to wireless network

New Viewer
Post 1 of 25

Xbox one will not connect to wireless network

I have recently changed to the Sky Q router and it is now blocking wireless connection to my Xbox one.

Sky advised I would need to speak with Xbox and Xbox advised I would need to speak with sky.

I have logged into the router and checked the firewall section but cannot workout where I would not to add the mac address.

Can anyone help?

All Replies
Director of Photography
Post 2 of 25

Re: Xbox one will not connect to wireless network

Have you tried hooking the Xbox up directly to the router?

Runner
Post 3 of 25

A hardwired connection works ok but due to the way my living room is configured, this isn't suitable unfortunately.

Director of Photography
Post 4 of 25

If it works fine when wired, it would suggest the problem is wifi. Could you please tell us more about your set up, e.g. do you have any boosters/Q TV etc.

Runner
Post 5 of 25

Thank you. I am running Sky Q and have just updated from the old Sky + hub (on which the wifi connection to the Xbox was fine), to the Sky Q hub.

The message that comes up when I try to connect states that the Router may be blocking the Mac address. I have logged into the router but do not know where to add the address in order to whitelist it.

Director of Photography
Post 6 of 25

The Q router can open ports by IP address, but there's no option there for by MAC address. Is the Xbox showing as connected to the router, when you go into maintenance and attached devices?

Runner
Post 7 of 25

It isn't no, just the children's ipads and phones

Director of Photography
Post 8 of 25

Try going into the network settings of the Xbox and give it a IP address of 192.168.0.250, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, gateway/router 192.168.0.1 and DNS 192.168.0.1 and 8.8.8.8.  Save the settings, and then re-connect it to the wifi. Once the Xbox is showing as connected to the router, hopefully everything will work...

Director of Photography
Post 9 of 25

I did try posting earlier, but somehow it seems to have vanished... anyway it might be a idea to try manually configuring the connection, If you can go into your network settings on the Xbox, and give it a IP address of 192.168.0.250, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, and a gatewayrouter of 192.168.0.1, and DNS 192.168.0.1 and if you have space for a second one try 8.8.8.8.  Then re-connect the Xbox to your router's wifi, and hopefully it will connect, and show as connected on your router (maintenance, connected devices). Having 2.4 and 5G unsynced with different SSID network names (just add a 5 at the end of the 5Ghz SSID), may also help. Please let us know how you get on.

Director of Photography
Post 10 of 25

Besides unsyncing 2.4 and 5Ghz networks and adding a 5 at the end of the 5Ghz SSID network name, go into network settings of your Xbox, and try giving it the following configuration:-

IP  192.168.0.250

Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Gateway/router  192.168.0.1

DNS  192.168.0.1

and 8.8.8.8

Now try re-connecting to the router's wifi, and hopefully it will connect and show as attached on your router (maintenance/attached devices).

Researcher
Post 11 of 25

I have this issue now.  Something has happened to Sky Broadband, or the router.  I have been through all settings on the xBox, I have tried to manually add the IP settings etc, but refuses to connect to the router over wi-fi.  I have been into the router to see if there are any blocked MAC addresses, which there are not.  Problem seems to have occured overnight.

I can see the wireless router when seaching for devices to connect to, the signal strength is good, the password is correct, just will not connect to the router.

Still on old sky router, not sky Q router.

Calvin

Director of Photography
Post 12 of 25

If nothing has changed your end, I think if it were me I would be looking to switch the wifi channels on the router. Just out of interest, is the Xbox connecting by wifi directly to the router, or via a access point/Q TV box?

Researcher
Post 13 of 25

Connecting directly to router, no WAPs.  How would you change channels?

Director of Photography
Post 14 of 25

Open a Web browser (Internet Explorer for example). In the address bar, type in 192.168.0.1 and enter. Select the wireless tab and log in with admin and sky. Then it's just a question of changing the desired channel to one that works for you (it may take several attempts, 13, 11 and 6 will be good starting points). Hope this helps  Smiley Happy

Researcher
Post 15 of 25

Hi there i am having the same issue on a sky hub, i have an Xbox One X and have identical symptoms as the OP and i have tried similar avenues to fix the issue. It works fine through the ethernet cable but wont connect to the wifi correct password, mac address added as a trusted source but to no avail. I just purchased a booster with ethernet ports to see if that will solve the problem but for some reason it just does not want to talk to the router through wifi, yet can find the id and good signal strength same as the OP’s issue. 

Recommended Threads
a week ago 11:47 AM
02-07-2018 08:26 AM
yesterday 04:11 PM
13-08-2018 07:42 PM
15-10-2018 06:18 PM