Discussion topic: Would like to buy sky broadband however no ont at home

This message was authored by Daniel671 This message was authored by: Daniel671

Would like to buy sky broadband however no ont at home

I would like to purchase a sky broadband Plan, in my city Dublin there are 2 options

> For €30 pm is the 500 Mb Ultrafast bundle

> For €35 pm is 1 Gb Ultrafast Max bundle

However, when I try to buy the broadband, it asks for ont connection status. My house is quite old and therefore only has a phone line port. I have had fibre before but it was through Virgin media which dont give ont instead they give just the wireless router which connects directly with the fibre cable.

So i rang the sky agent and they said that without an ont they cannot install sky broadband. In ireland internet cables underground for 3rd party suppliers are managed by open eir, which they say is like openreach and i should have gotten a visit from them to install the ont when fibre came to my area, but nobody did. the Gigabit Fibre came to my town from eir in 2022 but still no visit and no ont.

I am now stuck either having to keep with the slow adsl connection that sky offer or keep the virgin media contract which expires soon and then price will increase exponentially.

I have however contacted open eir and they said they will supply an ont to properties if the homeowner purchases their network's fibre, it will be from eci or huawei. 

So now i am confused since the sky agent said the ont should have come when open eir fibre was available in my area, and open eir themselves saying eci/huawei ont will be supplied on the day of installation.

If you have any information where i should go on now, please let me know. It will be really helpful, thank you

Best Answers
Daniel671
Topic Author
This message was authored by Daniel671 This message was authored by: Daniel671 Answer

Re: Would like to buy sky broadband however no ont at home

Turns out i have found the solution

I did a little more research and found out that open eir only supply ont's for new build houses with ducts,etc.

For existing homes the engineer of the broadband company will supply a new ont, and that ont doesnt have to be returned to the company.

Meaning the sky engineer will install the ont to property on the installation date.

But i still cannot order online, since i dont have an ont and the sky broadband checker checks for ont connection, so i must order by phone.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

Daniel671
Topic Author

The open eir agent also gave me a link about first time fibre to the home installations, 

https://www.openeir.ie/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/E00086493-eircus-FTTH-Day-of-Installation.pdf

Daniel671
Topic Author

Here is the image shown when trying to purchase the broadband

Daniel671_0-1719087623062.png

if i click power to internet is already on it goes to a error page showing sky contact number

Daniel671
Topic Author
This message was authored by Daniel671 This message was authored by: Daniel671 Answer

Turns out i have found the solution

I did a little more research and found out that open eir only supply ont's for new build houses with ducts,etc.

For existing homes the engineer of the broadband company will supply a new ont, and that ont doesnt have to be returned to the company.

Meaning the sky engineer will install the ont to property on the installation date.

But i still cannot order online, since i dont have an ont and the sky broadband checker checks for ont connection, so i must order by phone.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion