Wifi OK but no LAN connections

Viewer
Post 16 of 33

Re: Wifi OK but no LAN connections

we are having the same issue as this. We have had 2 hubs so far and the wireless works fine but the wired doesnt work to the xbox or laptop/computers through either port. Tried playing in the setting and even letting it through the firewall but no dice. 

Researcher
Post 17 of 33

Did you ever sort this? I have exactly the same issue. We had a power outage two days ago and since that I simply cannot get my switch, previously working perfectly, to work with the hub. 

I can connect my desktop PC direct to the back of the sky hub and it works fine. The second I  Connect the switch to the back of the hub and then the PC via the switch then nothing works and the error is as you described  about the ethernet failing to get a valid IP.  I bought a new switch thinking that it may have been damaged but it doesn’t make any difference and neither does swapping any combination of cables. I spoke to sky support but of course because there’s no problem with the incoming Internet connection they're just not interested.  Of course if they put a decent amount of ethernet ports on the back of the Rueter instead of to then these problems wouldn’t presumably exist. 

This problem is really doing my head in  because there is no logic to what isnt working.

Oracle
Post 18 of 33

Hi @ains what switch are you using? Sky Q hubs work with unmanaged ethernet switches but often have issues with more complex switches.

The other issue, as I posted earlier in the thread, is the cable from the hub to the switch which must have all four pairs connected if the hub is set to Gigabit ethernet try swapping the cable you are using.

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Researcher
Post 19 of 33

Thanks for the reply. It is a managed to switch but then again it always has been and it’s always worked. I will try to switch if I can.

How do you know if all four pairs are connected in the cable? Even ordering one from Amazon for instance there is never any indication on that. It’s also the same cable that I’ve been using which has always worked, although I appreciate something may have happened.  I’ve ordered a new cable to be delivered today but I couldn’t find one that specifically said all for pairs were connected 

Researcher
Post 20 of 33

Sorry forgot to say the original switch was a net gear managed but I’ve bought a TP link managed to see if the switch was the problem. Not that I’ve ever done anything else but plug them in and turn them on!

Oracle
Post 21 of 33

@ains with managed switches you are in your own as Sky wont support you as you have found as domestic networks do not need that level of kit. Unmanaged switches are plug and play. If you are not configuring the switch why pay for that option? 

First Assistant Director
Post 22 of 33

@ains 

If a cable states it is Cat5e, Cat6, etc and is 'Gigabit' then it should have all 4 pairs connected 

Oracle
Post 23 of 33

@jamesn123 wrote:

@ains 

If a cable states it is Cat5e, Cat6, etc and is 'Gigabit' then it should have all 4 pairs connected 

If it hasnt got a break in it - just sayingSmiley Happy

First Assistant Director
Post 24 of 33

@Chrisee wrote:

@jamesn123 wrote:

@ains 

If it hasnt got a break in it - just sayingSmiley Happy

True

Researcher
Post 25 of 33

The managed switch was on offer so pretty much the same price as un-managed so seemed a sensible option. 

I've pretty much got everything back working now but I have to admit some of it seems more by luck than judgement. I did replace a cable that, by a process of elimination, I worked out must have stopped working, but how a power cut does that I am at a loss to understand? Bad luck, I suppose.

What I really struggled with was that if I took a cable direct from the router to my wired PC via a switch in that room (to split the signal between two PCs) then it worked. If I went from the router to the nearby switch and THEN to the PCs - it didn't work. This after ruling out that the closer switch wasn't at fault, by swapping it (and numerous cables). So the router direct to the PCs via one switch worked but the router to a working switch and then to the PCs  DIDN'T work. Very frustrating.

Oracle
Post 26 of 33

Stacking managed switches will need them set up properly. Honestly managed switches are more trouble than they are worth unless you need their services and know how to configure them. 

Researcher
Post 27 of 33

Well, it seems I might have found that outSmiley Frustrated

What is it about the "managed" bit make a difference given that I've never used them in any other way other than plug and play?

Highlighted
Oracle
Post 28 of 33

Unmanaged switches allow any port to communicate with any other port so te router manages the traffic. Managed switches introduces a control level which is great if the defaults work - its when they dont you hit problems. This explains a few of the options https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/features/3070-what-is-the-difference-between-managed-and-unmanaged-sw...

In your case @ains I suspect the power cut set the switch which had been configured at some point back to the defaults. 

Researcher
Post 29 of 33

@Chrisee wrote:

Unmanaged switches allow any port to communicate with any other port so te router manages the traffic. Managed switches introduces a control level which is great if the defaults work - its when they dont you hit problems. This explains a few of the options https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/features/3070-what-is-the-difference-between-managed-and-unmanaged-sw...

In your case @ains I suspect the power cut set the switch which had been configured at some point back to the defaults. 

That link doesn't work for some reason. This one does

https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/features/3070-what-is-the-difference-between-managed-and-unmanaged-sw...
Clearly, something was thrown out by the power failure - too much of a coincidence to be anything else I suspect.

I've never configured anything myself, however, if that's what you mean. I'll have a look at that link as I REALLY need to understand this stuff better!

Researcher
Post 30 of 33

So after another half day of fiddling and swapping components in various combinations, I'm pretty sure that something is actually wrong with the SKY hub. 3 different switches, managed and unmanaged and several cables later its the only thing left that I can't swap so Sky have agreed to replace the Hub and are sending one out special delivery tomorrow. 

Nothing plugged into any switch attached to the hub will work but anything connected directly to the hub does. I'll post back again once that arrives.

Recommended Threads
14-07-2018 09:16 PM
Oracle 10-08-2018 07:08 PM
Community Manager 29-10-2018 09:24 AM
Oracle 02-11-2018 08:27 PM
3 weeks ago 07:34 AM