Discussion topic: WiFi keeps dropping and reconnecting

This message was authored by DrSP This message was authored by: DrSP

Re: WiFi keeps dropping and reconnecting

Thank you @peterlisa29 .

Sorry if its a silly question but does that mean that your entire wifi signal is being generated by the TP link? ie you switched off both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz  Sky Q mesh network in the engineer setup mode?

This message was authored by Pep156 This message was authored by: Pep156

Did this ever get sorted? We have changed to sky broadband and now I connect my PC via WiFi and it's the only thing that cuts out 4/5 times a day 

peterlisa29
Topic Author
This message was authored by peterlisa29 This message was authored by: peterlisa29

Hi @DrSP , apologies but I've just picked up your question. I still have SKY providing the wifi. I just use the TP link as a way of getting Ethernet to a room where I can plug in a laptop. Sorry again for the delay in replying.

This message was authored by Blacksheep This message was authored by: Blacksheep

I don't have Sky Q.   I have used my current standard Sky modem very happily since 2015.   Just in the last 6 months I found my mobile dropping connection and assumed it was an issue with my phone.  But now my work laptop is also dropping connection too - every morning.    In both cases I have to stop connecting and then reconnect and then it works okay.   

There are no impediments to the signal from my Sky router to my devices - no walls, no electrical interference - the distance from the router to my work laptop or my mobile is 5 ft or so. 

So this appears to be a problem generally with Sky.  

This message was authored by D80+Sheffield This message was authored by: D80+Sheffield

It's not a sky problem as sky does not control the wifi. Been happening to me as well, so I set up a powerlink ethernet to all the devices including my new sky glass to stop the dropouts. So it looks like it may be an issue with either the firmware or the hardware for the wifi on the router.

This message was authored by ppptaggg This message was authored by: ppptaggg

I have SKy SR203 router. Everyday it disconnects and after 2 min reconnects. Real disgrace. Sky, please treat your customer better. Make better wifi routers, or don't remotely control the flow. we just want an internet that doesn't disconnect!

This message was authored by Tom-W19 This message was authored by: Tom-W19

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi ppptaggg

I have escalated your post to our Community Messaging team who will invite you to a private chat shortly and help you with this.

Just look out for the blue bubble to start the conversation.

Here's more information on how Community Messaging works - https://community.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147

Thanks
Tom
This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Posted by a Sky employee

Update – We are still looking to help you ppptaggg. If you need our support let us know and we can re-escalate to our chat team. Your invite has been closed now. Thanks 🙂

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert
This message was authored by ppptaggg This message was authored by: ppptaggg

I got it fixed --  by buying a new Google nest. problem solved! no bad connection now. Proves it's the Sky router's poor performance

This message was authored by AMSWeird This message was authored by: AMSWeird

My WiFi drops 4 to 5 times a day at random intervals.

Phoned sky and basically got fobbed off with too many devices. We have 20 connected. 

We have an Ero 6 connected by ethernet cable and all bar the sky, second sky q and my work laptop connected to that device, as the ero can handle upto 150 devices.

This has been going on for months. We had our router replaced recently due to an issue with the old one, however this didn't resolve the issue.

This message was authored by jb-09 This message was authored by: jb-09

?Re: WiFi keeps dropping and reconnecting

Hi Did you get this resolved?

I have the same issue, 4 engineer visits later, now with brand new equipment across sky q, booster and modem and still having the same issue where the wifi drops, yet always showing 3 green lights on router.

Any suggestions please?

This message was authored by DrSP This message was authored by: DrSP

Yes I had the main sky q box changed. The engineer said it's common and they usually fail frequently. The longest he's seen it last 13 months.

True to his word almost a year later it's failed again, am now managing with my Apple time capsule generating the WiFi network.

I'll prob look to get a mesh system 

peterlisa29
Topic Author
This message was authored by peterlisa29 This message was authored by: peterlisa29

Re: ?Re: WiFi keeps dropping and reconnecting

@jb-09 I reduced the drop outs considerably by connecting as many devices as possible using cabled ethernet and spent more money on TP Link Power adapters to reach other areas of the house. Hope this helps!!

This message was authored by jb-09 This message was authored by: jb-09

Thanks for the feedback. 
I have  gone from a seamless setup up for the last 3 years with sky Q, x2 minis, sky router and BT Wholehome dishes to near insanity!!!.
4 engineer visits later I now have a new sky "super" router, new sky booster and new sky Q with the BT wholehome in a cardboard box!
Now with all the new Sky equipment and still issues, I may try the BT whole home dishes again. I have 30+ devices connected, but nothing has been added recently. 
Should I just move to BT broadband?

This message was authored by HB1625 This message was authored by: HB1625

Hi, has anyone found a solution to this problem? I spent an 1hr 17m on the phone to Sky today. Third phone call.  The only solution they can come up with to stop my wifi dropping out is to sign up to wifi boost free for 18 months. Can I have a new router? No. Can I have a wifi signal booster? No. Repeatedly telling me I'm getting great internet speed so there's nothing wrong with my internet. What's the use of great internet speeds if I keep losing connection to the internet!! Reluctantly they're sending an engineer tomorrow so we'll see what he says 🙄

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion