Discussion topic: Wi-Fi slow or not working on iphone

This message was authored by CaptainKevman2020 This message was authored by: CaptainKevman2020

Wi-Fi slow or not working on iphone

Had sky broadband for years now and everything was working brilliantly. However, just before Christmas Wi-Fi on our new iPhone 14s is so slow I have to turn Wi-Fi off and use my data to go on any website now briefly then turn Wi-Fi back on once on to the website!! Had new phone since sept and never had an issue until just before Christmas. Engineer came round etc and supposedly fixed broadband and Wi-Fi. It worked for a while and then went again so was sent out a new router. Again fine for a while and again Wi-Fi is so slow etc. anyone else had this issue as it is so annoying now and using more data than I want to? Thanks

K R Sell

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Wi-Fi slow or not working on iphone

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@CaptainKevman2020 probably due to interference from neighbour's wifi networks especially if you are in a flat. Try splitting the wifi bands and connecting the phone to the shorter range 5GHz band which is less.affected. See Split Sky WiFi bands

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Jimbobint This message was authored by: Jimbobint

I have exactly this problem since I took out sky broadband earlier this year.  Every other device works fine wired or wireless.  Just my iPhone (12 mini).  If I use a custom DNS service like cloudflare the problem goes away and I can browse super quick again.  It's something to do with the DNS server provided by sky and the iPhone; alas sky don't let you change the dns server on the router (bizarrely!) and support don't even know what a dns server is so it's like talking to a brick wall.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jimbobint not my experience we have multiple ios devices with some set to use the default Sky DNS hard coded into the hub and some set to Google's DNS - 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 - but normally see no differences in site loading times. However Sky's system can occasionally develop faults but that is rare. In 7 years of using Sky I cannot agree there are issues between Apple devices and Sky broadband but YMMV.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Jimbobint This message was authored by: Jimbobint

It's certainly bizarre and not something I've ever seen before from any provider; but then no provider has used the firmware to lock the dns to them before (they could let us use another but they seem not to want to) so it would have been easily circumnavigated.

All I can say is; whether I send traffic via a second router where I can change the DNS or change it on the device itself the iPhone works.  Via sky's hub on my iPhone 12mini  (with no s/w to change the DNS) it just spins and sometimes loads.  My wife's older SE doesn't seem to have a problem, and I have no problem on any other Wi-Fi network (just the new sky network at home using the iPhone).

Alas support didn't seem to know what a dns server was and said they didn't have a dept to pass me to who could shed some light on it; so I gave up as I was too busy to keep hitting a wall.

Everything else has worked fine; but with no support to help the problem persists.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion