Discussion topic: Wi-Fi keeps disconnecting randomly

This message was authored by lynnew85 This message was authored by: lynnew85

Wi-Fi keeps disconnecting randomly

Hi,

I got Sky Broadband Ultrafast 1 installed on the 6th of September and since then, the WiFi randomly disconnects throughout the day. As I work from home, it means that my laptop loses connection during meetings which is frustrating. 

I thought it was due to it only being recently installed, but it's now been over 14 days since the installation, so it should've settled down. I've also restarted the router and connnected devices on a couple of occasions to no avail.

I only have my laptop, Sky Q box and mobile phone connected to the WiFi when it drops out. I also can't move my router, but this shouldn't matter as I didn't have Full Fibre broadband with BT (my previous provider) and never had any issues, even though the router is in the same location. 

Can anyone help please? I've uploaded my hub stats below:

Screenshot_20231004_222203_Chrome.jpg

Thank you.

Best Answers
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

Re: Wi-Fi keeps disconnecting randomly

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@lynnew85 

It wont always be exactly the same because each ISP uses their own router and they all have different capabilities.

Its also possible that there is some sort of external interference that has started since you moved to BT. This could be anything from a neighbour getting a new router to some sort of appliance. 

What you can do is try changing the WiFi channel on your router, a guide on how to do that can be found here.

If that doesnt work you could look at getting your own router/AP/Mesh system to use for WiFi or use powerline adapters to connect your laptop via ethernet which wouldnt involve you moving your router or changing the laptop setup. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

lynnew85
Topic Author

I should've mentioned that I've followed the guidance on Sky's website for this issue, but the steps didn't help and it just loops back to the first step again.

When I click on the service status for my broadband, it says it detected an issue with my WiFi, but when I run the test, it says no issues were detected and loops me back to the guidance.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@lynnew85 

Your stats show that no connection drop is happening on the router so your problem is like WiFi dropping/interference. Ideally you should connect your laptop via ethernet for the most stable connection. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
lynnew85
Topic Author

Hi @jamesn123 

That's a shame as I never had this issue with BT and as I didn't have Full Fibre with them, I thought my Sky Full Fibre would've performed better.

Unfortunately, I can't move the router or my laptop set up to allow it to be connected by an ethernet cable as the router is in a different room. Do you happen to know what could cause the WiFi interference and why it seems to only be affecting Sky's broadband? No worries if you don't!

I might need to look at my options as if I can't get an uninterrupted connection for my laptop to Sky's WiFi, it's not fit for the purposes I need it for.

Thanks again for your time and your reply!

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

@lynnew85 

It wont always be exactly the same because each ISP uses their own router and they all have different capabilities.

Its also possible that there is some sort of external interference that has started since you moved to BT. This could be anything from a neighbour getting a new router to some sort of appliance. 

What you can do is try changing the WiFi channel on your router, a guide on how to do that can be found here.

If that doesnt work you could look at getting your own router/AP/Mesh system to use for WiFi or use powerline adapters to connect your laptop via ethernet which wouldnt involve you moving your router or changing the laptop setup. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
lynnew85
Topic Author

Thanks very much @jamesn123.

I've changed the channel and the connection was more stable this afternoon. Still very early days, but better than it has been. 

Thanks again!

This message was authored by rugrats99 This message was authored by: rugrats99

Well did it fix it or not. ??

This message was authored by rugrats99 This message was authored by: rugrats99

Nope 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion