Discussion topic: What package is non-fibre broadband?

This message was authored by Becki771 This message was authored by: Becki771

What package is non-fibre broadband?

Hello! I can't have fibre optic broadband installed where I'm moving to due to the building not being allowed to be drilled into, but every broadband package I read says fibre connection. Could someone tell me which package is connected only via the phone line and not fibre please? I'm looking at the Superfast package and hoping I can choose this! Thanks in advance 

Best Answers
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

Re: What package is non-fibre broadband?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Becki771 

Sounds like if the owner/landlord doesn't want drilling you'd be getting a very stable 80Mbps. Although openreach deem the accommodation to be suited for full fibre albeit probably using a hoist as there may be something with the exterior walls that prevent a ladder been secured to the house.

Have a word with whomever owns it to see if the objection is purely the drilling and bring a copy of the table above because it will likely follow the same route to the house and the internal cabling is thin and unobtrusive

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Becki771 

Superfast is mainly fibre to the cabinet. A roadside green box then copper to the house

If you enter your new address below and post the table and notes after removing your address from the image it would give an idea of your speed

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

Becki771
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk  Thank you for your answer, this is what I got from the link you sent. Not that I understand it lol! I'm just trying to set up the broadband online without having to call Sky but don't want to choose the wrong thing 😅IMG_0499.png

IMG_0500.png

IMG_0501.png

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

@Becki771 

Sounds like if the owner/landlord doesn't want drilling you'd be getting a very stable 80Mbps. Although openreach deem the accommodation to be suited for full fibre albeit probably using a hoist as there may be something with the exterior walls that prevent a ladder been secured to the house.

Have a word with whomever owns it to see if the objection is purely the drilling and bring a copy of the table above because it will likely follow the same route to the house and the internal cabling is thin and unobtrusive

Becki771
Topic Author

Thank you so much for your help! 

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Becki771 

Just re checking the image full fibre fttp will be an overhead fibre cable along the existing telephone line it will be drop down to an external grey box which would probably be the most obvious external feature.  Any ideas why and where they don't want the drilling .  The hoist shown as l2c in the notes usually denote a listed building were openreach would be prohibited from securing a ladder or cladding that wouldn't support a ladder

Eitherway the fact that wbc fttp shows as available indicates openreach have done a full survey and are happy

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Becki771 you may want to point out to the landlord that at some point in the future the copper lines will be decommisioned meaning if they refuse fibre to be fitted their tenants will becwithout internet connections. See https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/retiring-the-copper-network

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

@Becki771 

As @Chrisee indicates as soon as the exchange exceeds 50% fttp connections the fttc will go into stop sale meaning no superfast connections for new subscribers and no broadband at that address and nobody leasing/renting the house.  Its a no brainer win-win situation

This message was authored by mormegil This message was authored by: mormegil

As your street has been upgraded to full fibre that is now the only service that can now be ordered

if your landlord won't allow it to be fitted you will not be able to get any broadband connection via the openreach network

you can use this as a bargaining point with the landlord as he will either need to discount the rent or have a unrentabke property if you cannot get a good 5g service for mobile broadband as that will be the only alternative

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion