Discussion topic: We have recently changed from BT broadband to sky and noticed significant drop in speed.

This message was authored by Neilz86 This message was authored by: Neilz86

We have recently changed from BT broadband to sky and noticed significant drop in speed.

Good morning,

I have recently switched from bt broadband to sky ultrafast 500 and if anything I was expecting a smoother and quicker connection for working at home however I have noticed a significant down turn in general WiFi and the speeds.

myself and wife work from home on a regular basis and this is affecting our work. I was wondering why this is as the download speeds on the check are showing fine but in normal usage this is noticeably slower than the bt broadband we had previously.

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: We have recently changed from BT broadband to sky and noticed significant drop in speed.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Neilz86  Please can you post your router stats so the forum can advise on any issues. This link explains how to do that https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/td-p/2855717#

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

Neilz86
Topic Author

Re: We have recently changed from BT broadband to sky and noticed significant drop in speed.

IMG_4315.jpeg

Neilz86
Topic Author

Hi There,

can anyone provide any further information based on the above router stats?

cheers

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Neilz86 

Its as simple as that the BT Router's WiFi capabilities are better than Sky's hence why BT are usually more expensive.

If you want better WiFi performance you'd look at 3rd party options

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Neilz86
Topic Author

Thanks Paul,

I had thought that as we have opted for a higher tariff, unltrafast 500 this would ensure faster speeds than our previous bt which was a lower speed.

by third party options do you mean an alternative router or switching to an alternate supplier?

@Neilz86 

Not sure who Paul is but anyway,

A higher tariff has no relation to the actual speeds you may receive via local WiFi from your hub. My previous message specifically stated that its the difference between the BT hub & Sky Hub's WiFi capabilities, not the actual package you selected. The BT hub tends to be able to beam out faster WiFi speeds over the Sky hub and keep them more stable, no matter what package you select.

By 3rd party I meant router or perhaps a mesh system.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Neilz86
Topic Author

Cheers James,

not up to speed with the tech involved but sounds like I would be better switching back to a bt broadband package as the sky package is noticeably slower and drop outs while on teams calls etc.

i assume if I did I would require to pay early termination charges now?

appreciate your help.

@Neilz86 

If you do not want to mess around with Sky boosters/3rd party routers/mesh systems etc then yes you'd likely be best just switching back to BT.

If you are past the 14 day cooling off then you'd likely be subject to charges

I am NOT a Sky Employee

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion