Discussion topic: Very low download speeds when connected to WiFi since Sky Ultrafast installed

This message was authored by pjwilson83 This message was authored by: pjwilson83

Very low download speeds when connected to WiFi since Sky Ultrafast installed

Hi, hoping someone can help me with this. We had Sky Ultrafast installed just under a week ago. Someone from Open Reach came out and installed a small white Open Reach box on the wall which connects to our Sky router via an ethernet cable Everything was fine at first but now everything is mega slow. When checking on the Sky App, it says the download speed to our router are over 100 Mb/s. However, when I run a generic speed test from my phone it says the download speed is only around 3 Mb/s. Why is there such a discrepancy? We have never had any issues like this before until Sky Ultrafast was installed. It is making our jobs difficult since any kind of video calling is an absolute no no at these speeds. Please can someone help me.

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Very low download speeds when connected to WiFi since Sky Ultrafast installed

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@pjwilson83 most likely explanation is low WiFi signal level between the hub and your phone. Has the hub been moved to connect to the new ONT Openreach fitted? WiFi signal strength is lost when the signal passes through solid object like walls or furniture and is blocked by any metal like radiators. Therfere having the hub on a surface above those obstructions helps a lot but the ethernet cable Sky supply is quite short, if that is the problem you need to buy a longer cable you dont need to buy anything special.

Beyond that you may need extra wifi kit either from Sky as part of their add-on pack WiFi Max where theyvwill lend you up to 3 extenders if you need them or buy your own as I and many other people do.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
pjwilson83
Topic Author
This message was authored by pjwilson83 This message was authored by: pjwilson83

Re: Very low download speeds when connected to WiFi since Sky Ultrafast installed

Thanks for the quick reply

No, the hub has not been moved. It sits where it has always been, next to the TV.

The ethernet cable Sky provided was quite short but still reaches between the hub and the OTC open reach box.

We have never had any issues with the WiFi signal before with the hub in the same position.

The discrepancy between 100 Mb/s download speed to the hub and under 5 Mb/s to connected devices seems like a lot and only since Sky Ultrafast was installed. 

As I said, it was fine a few days ago, the speed on connected devices just dropped yesterday and the hub has been where it's always been.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion