Discussion topic: VPN on Mac disconnecting with work server after 8m 30 sec every time.

This message was authored by skybear This message was authored by: skybear

VPN on Mac disconnecting with work server after 8m 30 sec every time.

I used to use Global Protect to connect to our work server from home with my iMac. They changed servers in work recently so our IT department said I would have to use the native VPN software on the mac in the network settings to connect from now on (they set that up for me, it's way beyond my knowledge base). 

It connects to the server, but after exactly 8m 30 sec it disconnects, this happens with me and a colleague of mine and we are both have SKY as our ISP. Our IT guy setup a test in work with a mac which was on a differnt service provider and it's not dropping out at all, so the drop outs are pointing toward SKY as one of the potential problems.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening, its proving to be quite frustrating to reconnect all the time (I dont think this makes a didfference but I connect to the router by Powerline adapters and ethernet cables).

I did a couple of tests today, 1. I hot spotted off my phone using 4g, it's provider is also SKY but I thought it would be worth a go, it still disconnected after exactly the same amount of time. 2. I used my normal connection and disabled SKY Shield, its still disconnected after 8m 30 sec.

Any help greatfull recieved, I may need to query any technical stuff with my IT.

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: VPN on Mac disconnecting with work server after 8m 30 sec every time.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@skybear nothing comes to mind that works on that schedule. The hub renews its IP lease on roughly 30 minute intervals but that is a background process. I assume traffic to their sites dont show the same issue in which case it points to the server droping the connection as it is not getting the response it needs. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
skybear
Topic Author
This message was authored by skybear This message was authored by: skybear

Re: VPN on Mac disconnecting with work server after 8m 30 sec every time.

Hey thanks for replying. Yeah whats intersting is that all teh PCs that remote in don't have any problems at all. And as I mentioned the IT guy has also manged to get a mac working with it on a different ISP to SKY without it disconnecting.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion