Using a telephone socket extension cable to relocate Sky Q hub?

This topic has been answered
Go to Answer
Boom Operator
Post 1 of 8

Using a telephone socket extension cable to relocate Sky Q hub?

I'm looking to move my sky Q hub to a more central location in my flat. Short of booking a relocate of the master socket, is there a way I can do this with an extension cable? Would a telephone socket extension cable from Currys work?

Interested in tech
Answer

Best Answers
Answer
Camera Operator
Post 2 of 8

Re: Using a telephone socket extension cable to relocate Sky Q hub?

@Mikesat wrote:

I'm looking to move my sky Q hub to a more central location in my flat. Short of booking a relocate of the master socket, is there a way I can do this with an extension cable? Would a telephone socket extension cable from Currys work?

There are 2 ways to do it. You could either install a hardwired exension socket by connecting directly to the removalable panel on the bottom half of the master socket or just use a plug in cable extension (the extension connection should be unfiltered).

However you should ensure that whatever kit or cable you use is a proper twisted pair cable (ideally cat 5e or cat 6) and not a cheap flat (non-twisted pair cable).

A twisted pair cable will help minimise interference, however you should also ensure you keep a good distance from any mains wiring as otherwise your extension cable may reduce the speed or performance of your broadband.

All Replies
Answer
Camera Operator
Post 2 of 8

@Mikesat wrote:

There are 2 ways to do it. You could either install a hardwired exension socket by connecting directly to the removalable panel on the bottom half of the master socket or just use a plug in cable extension (the extension connection should be unfiltered).

However you should ensure that whatever kit or cable you use is a proper twisted pair cable (ideally cat 5e or cat 6) and not a cheap flat (non-twisted pair cable).

A twisted pair cable will help minimise interference, however you should also ensure you keep a good distance from any mains wiring as otherwise your extension cable may reduce the speed or performance of your broadband.

Oracle
Post 3 of 8

@Phrim wrote:

Extensions really aren't recommended for best performance from broadband. Relocating the master socket is the best solution - Sky can do that for £65. Extension cables or kits are usually of mediocre to poor quality and I agree with @Phrim @@that a Cat5e / Cat6 is a better solution, if you reallywant to try an extension.

Camera Operator
Post 4 of 8

@Mark39 wrote:

@Phrim wrote:

Extensions really aren't recommended for best performance from broadband. Relocating the master socket is the best solution - Sky can do that for £65. Extension cables or kits are usually of mediocre to poor quality and I agree with @Phrim @@that a Cat5e / Cat6 is a better solution, if you reallywant to try an extension.

I agree extensions aren't ideal (especially if the extension wiring is old and poor quality) but if the extension is hardwired into the front of the master socket using high quality cat 5e or cat6 cable and is a relatively short distance then this would would cheaper than paying to get the master socket moved.

It really depends on the end user and if they are happy to do it themself or whether they want to pay someone else to do it.

Boom Operator
Post 5 of 8

Most cat5e or 6 cable I've seen has Ethernet plugs. Can you get this cable with the plugs that go into the phone socket or hub (you know the pink socket on the hub)?
Interested in tech
Oracle
Post 6 of 8

@Mikesat wrote:
Most cat5e or 6 cable I've seen has Ethernet plugs. Can you get this cable with the plugs that go into the phone socket or hub (you know the pink socket on the hub)?

The extension spoken about on this thread involves hard wiring the Cat5e cable to the existing master socket, if you are not confident in doing this I suggest you contact Sky and ask for the master phone socket to be relocated instead as standard ADSL extension cables with RJ11 plugs, which is what the router uses, usually degrade broadband performance quite heavily. 

Boom Operator
Post 7 of 8

@jamesn123 wrote:

@Mikesat wrote:

The extension spoken about on this thread involves hard wiring the Cat5e cable to the existing master socket, if you are not confident in doing this I suggest you contact Sky and ask for the master phone socket to be relocated instead as standard ADSL extension cables with RJ11 plugs, which is what the router uses, usually degrade broadband performance quite heavily. 

If you hardwire a Cat 5e/6 cable to the master socket (mine must be older as it doesn't have the removable cover) doesn't the other end of the ethernet cable still need an RJ11 plug?

On the drop in performance, if you were on Fibre unlimited from sky with 40mbps download speed to the property, what amount could you lose up to if you were running 5m + of basic (non twisted pair) telephone ext. cable? Up to 50%?

Interested in tech
Oracle
Post 8 of 8

@Mikesat wrote:

If you hardwire a Cat 5e/6 cable to the master socket (mine must be older as it doesn't have the removable cover) doesn't the other end of the ethernet cable still need an RJ11 plug?

Yes you still need the RJ11 to plug into the router. Its just if you run the Cat5e yourself it'll be better quality than extension cables bought of the internet.

@Mikesat wrote:

On the drop in performance, if you were on Fibre unlimited from sky with 40mbps download speed to the property, what amount could you lose up to if you were running 5m + of basic (non twisted pair) telephone ext. cable? Up to 50%?

It completely depends on your current line condition already (in & outside the home) as well as what the cable runs past but yes you could see 50% of more reduction using a non twisted pair cable and running it past things that interfere. However usually most people would only see 5-15% difference

Recommended Threads