Using 2nd Sky Q Hub as access point

This topic has been answered
Go to Answer
Runner
Post 16 of 27

Re: Using 2nd Sky Q Hub as access point

I am using 2 sky Q routers and that is what I was trying to connect following the instructions.

I assumed that after making one the slave I would be able to connect it wirelessly to my first router thus extending the wireless network but doesn't seem to be that easy. Cable is not an option sadly

Oracle
Post 17 of 27

Sorry @SK+confused it's not possible they are not designed for that. You either need to run an ethernet cable or get some powerline adapters. Alternatively you could just get a router with better WiFi coverage in general than the sky router

Runner
Post 18 of 27

@jamesn123 wrote:

Perhaps @Mark39 can suggest something, however as far as I am aware if you use an old Sky router as a second AP it must be connected to the main router via an ethernet cable. The only way you are going to get a second wireless AP working without a cable is with Sky Q or a 3rd party system like Google WiFi or BT whole home WiFi.

I'm using two skyQ routers

Oracle
Post 19 of 27

@peterccrook

See my post above, its not possible over wireless, you'll need a cabled connection either directly or via powerline

Runner
Post 20 of 27

Hi, I have had two older black Sky Hubs connected as you detail above and all has been working fine for years but I recently got two new Sky Q Hubs and have tried to connect them up the same but although the wirelesss gets extended I get problems when trying to connect to links or sign into Amazon etc.

If I turn off the 2nd router (AP) all works fine OR if I replace the second Sky Q Hub with my old Sky Hub all works fine. 

I have set the  first Sky Q Hub Ending IP Address to  192.168.0.254 and the 2nd Sky Q Hub IP  Address to 192.168.0.255, unticked Use Router as DHCP Server,  unticked Enable IPv6 on LAN side and unticked Enable IPv6 DHCP Server. The 2.4Ghz channel is set to 6 and the 5Ghz channel is set to 36 on both hubs and both have the same Wireless Name and  Network Key and are wired together via Powerline adapters.

Could you please fully detail the setting on the 2nd Sky Q Hub so i can check my setup.

Very strange as all works with my old 2ndSky Hub in place but not the new Sky Q 2nd Hub.

Would the Sky Q Hubs need to have the same firmware version? If so, where can I download the latest firmware for the Sky Q Hubs ER115?

Executive Producer
Post 21 of 27

192.168.0.255 is a special address for broadcasts, use another IP address on the second router between the range 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.253 which isn’t already used.

-------

With Zen internet on G.fast (212Mbps down, 41Mbps up throughput). Own WebSite & Email High-Availability cluster.
Researcher
Post 22 of 27

Runner
Post 23 of 27

Sorry my typo error ... I have set the  first Sky Q Hub Ending IP Address to  192.168.0.249 and the 2nd Sky Q Hub IP  Address to 192.168.0.250,  all the other settings as previously mentioned ... This works with my old Sky Hub as the Access Point but not with the new Sky Q Hub so just wondered if there were any other settings that would cause internet issues when connected to it.

Yes I could get a Sky Q Booster but the second Sky Q Hub should work fine as my old Sky Hub does  but it doesn't have 5Ghz.

Oracle
Post 24 of 27

@Kevin451 the Q hub's run a proprietary firmware to create a mesh wifi network so not surprised you are having issues but not sure whether they can be overcome. You cannot disable this firmware. 

As already suggested the recommended way of extending Sky Q wifi is by using Q boosters or Q TV boxes which act as wifi hot spots.

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Runner
Post 25 of 27

Thanks @Chrisee looks like I may have to purchase a SkyQ Booster then Smiley Sad

@mae-3 can you confirm if you actually use the two Sky Q hubs as you describe or is this just how you assume it should work (as it does with my old Sky Hubs).

Executive Producer
Post 26 of 27

@Kevin451

The instructions were for the Sky Q Hub and SR102 Hub.

I've tried it with two Sky Q routers and it doesn't work on those rubbish routers and system, unfortunately.

-------

With Zen internet on G.fast (212Mbps down, 41Mbps up throughput). Own WebSite & Email High-Availability cluster.
Runner
Post 27 of 27

@mae-3 - Yes that's how I have mine set up and all works fine with the older SR102 as the Access Point but it is only 2.4Ghz and that's good enough for now Smiley Happy

Recommended Threads