Discussion topic: Upgrading to Full Fibre but still the same hub?

This message was authored by stejo This message was authored by: stejo

Upgrading to Full Fibre but still the same hub?

Hi All,

Been with sky for many years on a FTTC connection but full fibre is now available so ordered a 500mbps connection for install next month. They've told me I don't need a new router as the one I have is "good enough" for the connection. It's about 3 years old and doesn't support wifi 6. Think it's the SR203.

Will I still get fast wifi speeds to my devices or are they supposed to send the newer white hub? 

Also can anyone recommend a cheap but good access point I can plug in directly to the ONT to replace the old hub, assuming this is possible on Sky? 

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Re: Upgrading to Full Fibre but still the same hub?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@stejo the SR203 will deliver WiFi speeds up to 600Mb/s without issue you do not need WIFi6 for Ultrafast+. I have used both the SR203 and tge new white SR213 with my Ultrafast+ service and in my main living area the rwo easily meant my devices could access the full bandwidth over WiFi. In roome slightly further away the newer hub was a whisker faster but neither hubs gave me sufficently fast WIFi in more distant rooms on different levels.

I tried Sky's WiFi Max bundle but found even with 2 booster pods (these are WiFi5 units but thecsystem is triband) that speeds were lower than my cheap 3 unit Deco M4 system (over 200Mb/s in every room) . I therefore rejected the WiFi Max bundle but kept the SR213. I do not have Sky Q but if you still use that system the new hub is not compatable so there are some compromises basically you lose the use of the  wifi hot spots from the Q boxes.

To be honest I dont think you are missing much you can buy a third party router Asus ones connect via the ONT but you lose the voice line which requires a Sky hub. The hubs work fine for me as routers but my Deco set up running in access point mode provides the WiFi.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@stejo wrote:

Will I still get fast wifi speeds to my devices or are they supposed to send the newer white hub? 

The Sky Broadband Hub is compatible with both FTTP and Sky Talk Internet Calls.  

@stejo wrote:

Also can anyone recommend a cheap but good access point I can plug in directly to the ONT to replace the old hub, assuming this is possible on Sky? 

That has to be a router, not a wireless access point.  The ONT itself is effectively a modem and doesn't route, run DHCP or resolve DNS.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

@stejo the SR203 will deliver WiFi speeds up to 600Mb/s without issue you do not need WIFi6 for Ultrafast+. I have used both the SR203 and tge new white SR213 with my Ultrafast+ service and in my main living area the rwo easily meant my devices could access the full bandwidth over WiFi. In roome slightly further away the newer hub was a whisker faster but neither hubs gave me sufficently fast WIFi in more distant rooms on different levels.

I tried Sky's WiFi Max bundle but found even with 2 booster pods (these are WiFi5 units but thecsystem is triband) that speeds were lower than my cheap 3 unit Deco M4 system (over 200Mb/s in every room) . I therefore rejected the WiFi Max bundle but kept the SR213. I do not have Sky Q but if you still use that system the new hub is not compatable so there are some compromises basically you lose the use of the  wifi hot spots from the Q boxes.

To be honest I dont think you are missing much you can buy a third party router Asus ones connect via the ONT but you lose the voice line which requires a Sky hub. The hubs work fine for me as routers but my Deco set up running in access point mode provides the WiFi.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
stejo
Topic Author
This message was authored by stejo This message was authored by: stejo

Many thanks @Chrisee you've put my mind at rest with that info! Least keeping the "old" hub will save me from having to reconfigure every device in the house.

I don't use Sky talk so will consider an Asus only if I have issues. 

Cheers!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion