Upgraded to Fibre Max...........not much of an increase?

Researcher
Post 1 of 16

Upgraded to Fibre Max...........not much of an increase?

Hi gang,

We took the plunge and upgraded our Sky Fibre to the Max service as while we were constantly getting a rock solid 37 indicated through speedtest etc, it was not up to the task when we were all doing our thing (Netflix, Battlefield, youtube etc) at the same time.

So the upgrade took effect today and i am quite underwhelmend and considering cancelling within the cooling off period.

As mentioned, we always (ALWAYS) had a rock solid 37 download speed but it has only climbed to 44/5

I did a quick restart of the box today to see if that was relevant but no change

Am i being daft or could this be something that could be fixed?

p.s. i run my speedtest checks on my wired main pc to rule out wifi but we are sing a connected Archer C7 to provide our wifi so that should not be an issue at all

Regards

Andy

System Up Time: 00:37:10
PortStatusTxPktsRxPktsCollision PktsTx b/sRx b/sUp Time
WANMER23692943007602568725563700:35:41
LANUp1421027175408844274521400:37:10
WLANUp56925366810714112300:36:34

Broadband LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed48266 kbps12691 kbps
Line Attenuation19.2 dB0.0 dB
Noise Margin6.2 dB

6.6 dB

All Replies
Oracle
Post 2 of 16

Re: Upgraded to Fibre Max...........not much of an increase?

@HelenHopper2k15

Your line is synced at 48Mbps so the max you'd see via speed test is about 45Mbps. It does seem low. What is the minimum speed Sky promised you when you took the package? This speed should be on your account, Sky app or welcome email.

Researcher
Post 3 of 16

Hi bud,  i dont see any mention of the speeds in the correspondence......this was done via the call centre btw

I do have it written down however and I have written down 47-63 so I would have been told that

J

Researcher
Post 4 of 16

I should also say that I am still using the old hub but my understanding was that the Q hub really only upgraded the wifi performance.

Should the old hub be a bottleneck in terms of actual fibre performance ignoring wifi?

J

Oracle
Post 5 of 16

Hi @HelenHopper2k15 the speed should be detailed on the My Sky app in the broadband section but seems like you have it anyway so not to worry. It does seem your connection is very slightly within the range so not sure If Sky will accept it as a low speed fault. 

Just to confirm your potential line speed can you post the results of the 'Address checker' from this link?

And in answer to your question, you are correct the Q hub does only improve WiFi performance and would not have any benefit to your line sync speed.

Researcher
Post 6 of 16

Is this what you mean buddy?

2.png

Oracle
Post 7 of 16

Yep thats it. So on the 'VDSL Range A (Clean)' we can see your line has a max high of 67Mbps download and a low of 47.4Mbps so your line currently is just within that so it would not be classed as a fault in Sky's eyes. One thing to note though is that your noise margin is currently 6dB and most cabinets now allow for a lower margin which in turn brings the speed up so considering your line has only been upgraded today there has not been enough time for the cabinet to bring the noise margin down and speed up.

What I suggest you do is to leave it 1-2 weeks and see the speed starts to come up as it quite possibly could. In the meantime you could try getting in touch with Sky again and see if they will accept it as a fault, I would not hold much hope though.

Researcher
Post 8 of 16

Hi James,

Thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it.

We are still within the cooling off period so I am going to contact them tomorrow and see what they say but currently, in my opinion of course, is not worth paying the extra we are for a couple of meg. I had hoped for the upper end seeing as we are in a modern area of a city. I know that some neighbours are seeing BT's full 67 etc andknow that means nothing for other providers but tells me the lines and cab are good.

WIll update if i get any steer but if Sky insist it is fine I will be cancelling as it isnt

Regards

A

Oracle
Post 9 of 16

I totally agree with you, the extra for Fibre Max is not worth it for you if you are only going to get the extra 7Mbps. Weird how your neighbours can get more but obviously Sky & BT do use the same lines so you'd likely get exactly the same speed if you switched to BT. 

First Assistant Director
Post 10 of 16

@jamesn123 wrote:

I totally agree with you, the extra for Fibre Max is not worth it for you if you are only going to get the extra 7Mbps. Weird how your neighbours can get more but obviously Sky & BT do use the same lines so you'd likely get exactly the same speed if you switched to BT. 

There's the possibility that the OP's line has interleaving applied which would generally produce around a 10 Mbps drop i sync speed but without proper stats from a non-Sky router it's difficult to tell.

Sky use the Standard DLM profile whereas most other ISP's use the Speed profile. The Speed profile has a much higher error rate before DLM kicks in.

Post 11 of 16

Well, after a day of settling this looks to be it.................again, from the gaming rig connected direct to the router. Nothing else consuming the connection as I have wifi off for this testing.

One of the little ones is sick tonight so just dont have the time to chase Sky right now but yeah, fairly disappointed with that.

Researcher
Post 12 of 16

can anyone advise why my responses are disappearing after a while?

Community Manager
Post 13 of 16

@HelenHopper2k15 wrote:

can anyone advise why my responses are disappearing after a while?

Hi @HelenHopper2k15, for some reasons your posts ended up in the spam filter, sorry for the inconvenience. I've released them now and you should be fine.  

Federica-C
Community Manager

Take a look at the latest exclusive Sky customer offers
Oracle
Post 14 of 16

@HelenHopper2k15

I'd give it until the end of the week - Try not to reboot your router during this time. If nothing improves then I'd suggest you downgrade back to Fibre Unlimited if Sky cannot offer any further speed improvments 

Researcher
Post 15 of 16

Thanks Federica

Recommended Threads
04-10-2018 11:43 AM
Jamiecraig98 19-12-2018 07:19 PM
06-08-2018 04:10 PM
10-08-2018 03:05 PM
14-10-2018 10:47 AM