Discussion topic: Updated Hub or modem mode coming?

This message was authored by Aurynfire This message was authored by: Aurynfire

Updated Hub or modem mode coming?

I was wondering if any of the super users who may have access to this information could tell me if Sky is planning to bring out a new router with up to date wireless standards anytime soon or are planning to allow a modem mode as this would be incredibly benefical to my current setp.  I did make suggestions that got a lot of likes in the sky ideas forum before it was removed...

Fantastically Autistic

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Re: Updated Hub or modem mode coming?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Aurynfire I have no specific information to share but almost certainly there is a new hub under development but when it will be released is not known outside Sky or indeed its exact specification . As Sky try to match BT it is highly likely any new hub will support wifi6 but beyond that your guess is as good as mine. Current hubs support wifi5. 

Sky have been asked to include a modem mode repeatedly but have never indicated that they will. The switch to fibre and provision of Sky Talk services over IP makes thst less likely rsther than more in my opinion. In practice it is less of a problem than it need be as you can either use a second router in a double NAT config which works well for most apps and devices or use a third party wifi system in Access Point mode. My current SR203 runs with its wifi turned off and I use a TP-Link Deco system for wifi.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Re: Updated Hub or modem mode coming?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Aurynfire I have no specific information to share but almost certainly there is a new hub under development but when it will be released is not known outside Sky or indeed its exact specification . As Sky try to match BT it is highly likely any new hub will support wifi6 but beyond that your guess is as good as mine. Current hubs support wifi5. 

Sky have been asked to include a modem mode repeatedly but have never indicated that they will. The switch to fibre and provision of Sky Talk services over IP makes thst less likely rsther than more in my opinion. In practice it is less of a problem than it need be as you can either use a second router in a double NAT config which works well for most apps and devices or use a third party wifi system in Access Point mode. My current SR203 runs with its wifi turned off and I use a TP-Link Deco system for wifi.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion