Discussion topic: Unsafe ancient phone cable

This message was authored by LynnWhit This message was authored by: LynnWhit

Unsafe ancient phone cable

We moved into this house in March. It is a  Victorian sandstone villa and  the last owers were here for 56 years without changing the decor. The wired phone connection is in excess of 40  years old. It comes in through the bathroom window and then is tacked some fifty metres throughout the house including loops hanging from the ceiling above the stairs.

When the engineer came to fit  the Sky dish he said that it would be easy to route the phone cable alongside the TV cable which neatly travels along the exterior wall and in to the downstairs lounge through the neat hole he drilled. However this was not his job (which is fair enough).

I phoned Sky at that time and they said that indeed this would normally be something that they would book with Openreach to be replaced but that, in the whole post-Covid backlog, it was not possible to book it. They could not say when it would be possible to book it and now months have gone by. Meanwhile I cannot find anyone to speak to and I cannot decorate or renovate the house with this ridiculous cable.  I can't disconnect it because I work from home. If I am sent in another loop by the online bot I will scream. Any advice as to who I should speak to?

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Unsafe ancient phone cable

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@LynnWhit wrote:

I phoned Sky at that time and they said that indeed this would normally be something that they would book with Openreach to be replaced but that, in the whole post-Covid backlog, it was not possible to book it. They could not say when it would be possible to book it and now months have gone by. 

You'll need to persist with speaking to Sky again, because Openreach won't accept a direct booking for such work.  I'm surprised they were still claiming pandemic-related delays in March: they will, however, want to charge you the standard fee for a master socket relocation.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion