Unknown device in attached devices

Runner
Post 1 of 15

Unknown device in attached devices

Hi All,

Saw this on a closed thread and I was curious :-

I've recently upgraded to Fibre Unlimited and a new Sky Q Hub ER115 to go with it. 

Three devices are connected via WiFI, a laptop, Android phone and the Sky HD Box.  Strangely I can see an extra device on the same IP address as the Sky box with a different MAC address and a device name of UNKNOWN.

Has anyone see this before?

screen.jpg

I also have these two units on the same IP .

If i switch everything off including the sky+hd box all the ip's clear (except for the laptop i am using to connect to the hub) AND the SKY+HD even through the box is "powered off" . When I turn the SKY+HD back on the UNKNOWN DEVICE shows back up on the same IP of the SKY+HD .

I am not concerned about this,  just curious!

All Replies
Oracle
Post 2 of 15

Re: Unknown device in attached devices

Do you have a wireless connector attached to your Sky+ box ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Oracle
Post 3 of 15

Are you using an On Demand Connector? Might be that.

Runner
Post 4 of 15

No there is nothing else connected at all

Runner
Post 5 of 15

No On demand connector

Director of Photography
Post 6 of 15

Turn off the Sly+HD box and then have a look at the attched devices. Then turn on the box and have another look. If Unknown comes back, then you'll know it's something to do wih the +HD box.

Sky Q 2TB V1 -- LG 55UH850V UHD TV -- 1 Mini
Runner
Post 7 of 15

If I turn off the sky+hd box the unknown device disappears from the list BUT the SKY+HD box stays in the list?

So, it looks like the unknown device is the sky+hdbox but why does the SKY+HD box always still there even when the SKY+HD box is disconnected from the mains supply?

Director of Photography
Post 8 of 15

@Davidnumbersix wrote:

If I turn off the sky+hd box the unknown device disappears from the list BUT the SKY+HD box stays in the list?

So, it looks like the unknown device is the sky+hdbox but why does the SKY+HD box always still there even when the SKY+HD box is disconnected from the mains supply?

Do you have another Sky+HD box?

Runner
Post 9 of 15

No Nothing else.

Director of Photography
Post 10 of 15

@Davidnumbersix wrote:

No Nothing else.

With the Sky+HD box off,turn off the power to the router for about 30 seconds and then turn it back on. Have a look and see if the mysterious entry is still there.

Runner
Post 11 of 15

Hi JonW42,

I did think of that but currently I have an ongoing problem with my fibre dropping out, whic is being investigaed by Openreach. I am recording all the internet traffic logs so I am not going to switch off the router for a few days.

But thanks for your interest in this topic.

Oracle
Post 12 of 15

@Davidnumbersix How is your HD box connected to your router ? WiFi ethernet or do you have a plugin adapter attached to your HD box to connect to your router.

I may have an Oracle badge but i'm still just a customer

imagebam.com

Runner
Post 13 of 15

I'm having the same problem. Same ip address for sky+hd box and unknown device yet the Mac addresses are very different. 

However I have noticed after powering off router and sky hd box the sky and unknown device disappear from attached devices so I take it the sky hd box has two connections for some strange reason. I'm not using any co sectors and sky box is connected through Wi-Fi within sky hd box 

Oracle
Post 14 of 15

@JayDoc the Sky HD+ box and the adapter have different mac addresses so both appear on the list even though one just connects the other so nothing to worry about.

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Runner
Post 15 of 15

Thanks for that. Thought it would be something to do with the box as the two devices went away after powering the hd box down 

Thanks. 

Recommended Threads