Discussion topic: Unable to change SSID on the Sky Max Hub, Model:SR213

This message was authored by yoa1 This message was authored by: yoa1

Unable to change SSID on the Sky Max Hub, Model:SR213

Hello,

I have the Sky Max Hub Model:SR213 and I need to change the SSID of the 2.4GHz and 5GHz WIFI network.

I need to separate them from the single SSID provided.

The issue is that in the local admin interface on 192.168.0.1 with the admin account, there is no possibility to separate the 2 frequencies.

And in the Sky App, there is no possibility to change the SSID name per frequency neither, it is only possible to rename it or to disable 2.4GHz or 5GHz.

Thanks for your help.

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Unable to change SSID on the Sky Max Hub, Model:SR213

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@yoa1 to change the settings on the SR213 you use the My Sky app not the web interface. It is quite simple to edit the SSID and Wifi passkey using the app go to Wifi Settings and click on the pencil icon. Occasionally Sky miss updating thecapp when you first get Wifi Max if thstvapplies give them a ring.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

@yoa1 @Chrisee And with the Sky Max version of operation, i believe that it is not currently possible to have a seperated SSID for/and AX wifi compatability were bands are combined to ONE ssid for a more complex operational requirement. But you can temporarly disable the 5Ghz band if having problems getting older equipment to connect to the router.

@JimM1 you are correct regarding the recommended way to connect devices that wont connect to the dualband SSID the SR203 normally produces is to temporarily disable the 5GHz band then connect the device and then switch the 5GHz band back on. Most devices seem to stay connected. 

We are told by Sky that is unlikely to change but they have recently added means to post forward and to use the hub's DMZ 

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
yoa1
Topic Author

Thank you,

Actually with the Sky App you can't change the SSID for the 2.4Ghz and the SSID for the 5Ghz frequencies. 

The name is the same unfortunately.  

I have shut down the 5GHz frequency.

The reason is that all laptops kept changing from 2.4GHz to 5GHz randomly, while I had old equipment only working with 2.4GHz.

My previous three router could let me decouple the SSIDs based on the frequency and thus letting me controlling the speed on the connected devices.

It's annoying to have a brand new router that can't be used with the fastest speed, as ultimately the bandwidth with the 5GHz frequency is way higher than with the 2.4GHz. So I feel like wasting quite a lot by having to shut it down because we can't separate the SSIDs per frequency.

🤨

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

@yoa1 It is incorrect too the operation with respect to wifi frequency as the new AX client requires a single ssid for faster through put of speed. But the way you had set previous and i fully agree, that is the way i have mine set also, but do not have any new AX clients so dont have to address that at present.

With your laptop's though i would have a look at the advanced Network settings of the device, it is possible that there is a setting there for operation which will make it connect to the 5Ghz band only.

You should NOT have to turn of the 5Ghz band and is detrimental to the operation of the router and your client devices.

The operation, lower freq is more powerful and goes further, but little more sensitive to interference, higher frequency more restrictive for distance, but certainly way faster.

The new Sky Max product, is being adjusted and upgraded all the time and fixing out the "teething problems" with the hub, it will come good, but it is unfortunate in the early stages of "getting it right" that is were it is at present.

@yoa1 the SR213 like all Sky hubs are heavily locked down which limits customisation by users. The new router supports wifi mesh networking where the router can uuse multiple connections to maximise connectivity so some of the "rules" you may have used before no longer necessarily apply. Unless you have specific issues letting the hub do its thing will give you better speeds.. 

As pointed out its the way Wifi 6 (aka 802.11ax) works as it uses multiple bands to maximise speeds. Unless your laptop is truly ancient and only supports Wifi4 (802.11n) you will get better performance as the 5GHz band is used by all devices equipped with Wifi5 (802.11ac) disabling that band forces Wifi 5 equipped devices back to using the far slower Wifi4 standard. The 2.4GHz band has a longer range but is slower and far more likely to be affected by interference than the 5GHz band. 

To connect equipment that wont connect initially to the dualband SSID you can temporarily turn off the 5GHz band while making the connection then re-enabling it once the device are connected and they should stay connected. 

yoa1
Topic Author

@Chrisee thanks, that makes sense.

In my case the mac book was switching from 5Ghz to 2.4Ghz.

Mac does not let you choose the frequency , you need to use the cli to pin a specific band into the 5Ghz frequency, making it cumbersome. 

The reason for the laptop to constantly switch between the 5Ghz and the 2.4Ghz may be linked to the distance to the router. In my case the router is based on the ground floor, while the laptop is on the second floor.

I am trying a TPL link router wired to the 1gbps port and connected   through the electric wire and ankther TPL link delivering 5GHz WiFi close to  the laptop. I have a bit more latency but it seems to work fine.

Thks

This message was authored by Shocked+Friend This message was authored by: Shocked+Friend

Is your Mac Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) or higher? I'm having the same problem connecting my work laptop which is only Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac). Sometimes it connects on the 5GHz band and sometimes on the 2.4GHz band, massively reducing the internet speed.

This message was authored by David+Cottam This message was authored by: David+Cottam

I joined Sky broadband last monday after moving from BT. received HUB 6 WiFi max router.

When the hub arrived I configured it by directly accessing the hub admin pages.

I set up two SSID for 2.5 GHzand left 5GHz set as it came to stop machines fliping between the networs.  all worked graet until last night.  Sky hub config has been chagned so now I am not able to change wifi config on the router and am forced to use the my sky app.  This must have been done by sky.

Complained this mourning and was told sky have not changed anything.. machines refusing to connect and some not even seeing the SSID.  I reset the routerer as guided It reverted back to a single SSID  whichj i know now need to configure  via the  my sky app. and It now works now but I only have a single SSID.  Hoever I have  completely lost my confidence in Sky Broadband WiFi Service.

I will give it a few days to see if it stable 

I am an IT professional...

Next call is to BT to see how easy it is to move back to them as I am well within the cancelation period.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@David+Cottam wrote:

Next call is to BT to see how easy it is to move back to them as I am well within the cancelation period.

I'd note that the EE Smart Hub+ also doesn't permit unsynchronized and renamed 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands because doing so is not compatible with the WiFi 6 standard.  As BT is transitioning over to EE for domestic branding it's possible they won't now offer you a subscription on a Smart Hub 2.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@David+Cottam wrote:

I'd note that the EE Smart Hub+ also doesn't permit unsynchronized and renamed 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands because doing so is not compatible with the WiFi 6 standard.  As BT is transitioning over to EE for domestic branding it's possible they won't now offer you a subscription on a Smart Hub 2.

Which is odd because there are plenty of routers that support WiFi 6 with the bands unsynchronised 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion