Discussion topic: Ultrafast Plus but not getting anywhere near 500Mbps

This message was authored by JSJohal This message was authored by: JSJohal

Ultrafast Plus but not getting anywhere near 500Mbps

I'm on Ultrafast Plus and i'm typically only getting 100Mbps using Fast.com.

I'm using the 5 Ghz band WiFi, there's nothing else using the net at the same time and i've got a perfect connection on my mobile and MacBook and still only getting 100Mbps. I've read others have had the same issue, and i've checked on my broadband online and it says my connection is good which I just can't get my head around. I've got 2 days to cancel under the 14 day cooling off period so unless its resolved, i'm just gonna call it a day. Any ideas?

All Replies

This message was authored by TechmanagerMal This message was authored by: TechmanagerMal

Re: Ultrafast Plus but not getting anywhere near 500Mbps

@JSJohal wrote:

I'm on Ultrafast Plus and i'm typically only getting 100Mbps using Fast.com.

I'm using the 5 Ghz band WiFi, there's nothing else using the net at the same time and i've got a perfect connection on my mobile and MacBook and still only getting 100Mbps. I've read others have had the same issue, and i've checked on my broadband online and it says my connection is good which I just can't get my head around. I've got 2 days to cancel under the 14 day cooling off period so unless its resolved, i'm just gonna call it a day. Any ideas?

• Ask Sky to get OR to test the speed to the ONT, mine (posted elsewhere) is at 550 Mbps and I too am having low-speed issues.
  • The Sky broadband test cannot access the speed to the router on FTTP but I will know tomorrow if the Network Team can.
Passing on the tips I have learned in over 23 years as a more than satisfied Sky customer.

This message was authored by starfire This message was authored by: starfire

You need to rule out WiFi.

Try a wired connection from laptop direct to the router.

And if your consistently near 100Mbps it could be the cable beween the ONT on the wall and the router, so try changing that also.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky Ultrafast 1 - 50Mbps to 80Mbps!!
JSJohal
Topic Author

I'll try a direct connection tomorrow.

In the mean time, i've tried switching the wifi off on my Sky Q boxes and it seems like the speed has shot up to 300Mbps plus. So I think I may be having an issue with the Sky Q boxes repeating the wifi signal at a slower speed.

This message was authored by starfire This message was authored by: starfire

When you try direct connect then on the router either disable WiFi or temporarily change the SSID so no other devices are connected, only your laptop with a wire to the router.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky Ultrafast 1 - 50Mbps to 80Mbps!!
This message was authored by JPR007 This message was authored by: JPR007

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@JSJohal Are your Sky boxes connected via WiFi or Ethernet? There is known (but as always ignored) issue of Sky Q boxes slowing LAN speeds down to 100Mb because of the way it routes traffic. It's becoming more and more well known now people are able to access higher internet speeds. 

As soon as you turn the Sky boxes off I bet you will get speeds much more like you are expecting. Not the answer, but pinpointing the problem possibly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

** No - I have nothing to do with Sky **
This message was authored by reebokrebel This message was authored by: reebokrebel

wifi is definitely not to be trusted, especially on mobiles.

I had FTTP installed yesterday, the up to 150M service.     I get 145M constantly on speed tests on my laptop (both wired and wifi).   Yet my mobile right next to the router gets about 40.    Go up into the bathroom far from the router and I get 90.    I just can't figure that out, time for a new mobile I guess, it is a few years old.

Also, speed test results don't always translate into real world results.    My PS4 (wired directly into router) says download speed between 40 and 90 (different every time I test but never showed higher than 89).  Yet I downloaded a game yesterday and used a stopwatch to time it and each 1Gb was coming in about 50-60 seconds, which is consistent with 145M download speeds. 

JSJohal
Topic Author

I've tried plugging in directly to the Sky Hub with ethernet and low and behold I'm getting ~500Mbps. Mostly just over.

I then tried switching off my Sky Q boxes - both the main box and the mini boxes and tried running a speed test on WiFi. I'm getting just over 300Mbps.

I switch the Sky Q boxes back on - and I'm back to 100Mbps. I'm guessing the culprit is the Sky Q boxes acting as extenders. Any suggestions to solve?

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@JPR007 

I posted your brilliant article from 2021. damn it was ignored. I posted to @TechmanagerMal how to change 10/100 to gigabit full duplex. Then he said about switching sky q off and boom full speed.👍

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
JSJohal
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk @JPR007 

Apologies, did I miss something you had posted?

Is there a way I can stop the Sky Q boxes from interrupting with the WiFi?

I've read elsewhere about splitting the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz band and giving them different SSIDs.

I did that and connected the Sky Q box to the 2.4Ghz WiFI band and the rest of my devices are connected to the 5Ghz. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it's made a difference, and I'm still getting a slower speed when the Sky Q boxes are switched on.

This message was authored by TechmanagerMal This message was authored by: TechmanagerMal

@cookiemonsteruk wrote:

@JPR007 

I posted your brilliant article from 2021. damn it was ignored. I posted to @TechmanagerMal how to change 10/100 to gigabit full duplex. Then he said about switching sky q off and boom full speed.👍

• Great post from @JPR007 but I am ex desktop support so some "flew over".
  • I was already at 1Gbps full-duplex, it was Sky who suggested the PC was under spec @cookiemonsteruk
  • Now with the Q Box connected wirelessly to the router Fast.com returned 600Mbps to the PC via ethernet but the wifi dropped dramatically as posted by @Gillious.
  • Bit of a balancing act now until the new upgraded Q box arrives to rule that out and then the wait for a software solution or the new Router.
Passing on the tips I have learned in over 23 years as a more than satisfied Sky customer.

This message was authored by JPR007 This message was authored by: JPR007

It's a really frustrating one, as mentioned in said post there were no issues just over a year ago, so Sky at some point have changed something firmware wise, and now any network traffic gets routed through the Sky boxes, regardless if it's connected via it or not. As the Q mini boxes only have 10/100 Ethernet, I can only make this the assumption as to why everything is being throttled even though the connection to the device is gigabit. 

E.g on my laptop currently it is connected through an Ethernet switch to the SR203. Whenever data flows, the corresponding connection light on the switch that the Q mini box is connected to, all mirrors its activity. Why is that happening? It's as if data is going from the laptop, through the switch, through the Sky box, then to the router. It should be going direct to the router. Wi-Fi is disabled on my Q boxes as the performance of the mesh, was in short, crap😂

If I had Wi-Fi enabled I could understand, as then obviously a device is communicating with the Sky box that then routes the traffic on, but is isn't so....🤷‍♂️

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

** No - I have nothing to do with Sky **

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion