Discussion topic: Trying to set up Deco M9 as main router on FTTP

This message was authored by MP1979 This message was authored by: MP1979

Trying to set up Deco M9 as main router on FTTP

Hi,

I know there's a lot of posts on setting up third party routers directly to the ONT on FTTP fibre but couldn't see any getting that to work for the Deco M9s.

I've tried looking through the various options on the router and comparing to posts where people have this working but can't seem to get any clear match between the choices on the M9s and others. 
Also seen different post about whether the option 61 is needed or not on FTTP.

I know the Decos don't support this but didn't think this was needed now but as I can't connect possible it is. 

Has anyone got Decos connected directly or could anyone help with what the settings would be?

also any chance anyone could help with whether the option 61 is needed on FTTP?

All help appreciated to stop the kids moaning at me about WiFi issues! 

All Replies

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

Re: Trying to set up Deco M9 as main router on FTTP

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@MP1979 wrote:

Hi,

I know there's a lot of posts on setting up third party routers directly to the ONT on FTTP fibre but couldn't see any getting that to work for the Deco M9s.

I've tried looking through the various options on the router and comparing to posts where people have this working but can't seem to get any clear match between the choices on the M9s and others. 
Also seen different post about whether the option 61 is needed or not on FTTP.

I know the Decos don't support this but didn't think this was needed now but as I can't connect possible it is. 

Has anyone got Decos connected directly or could anyone help with what the settings would be?

also any chance anyone could help with whether the option 61 is needed on FTTP?

All help appreciated to stop the kids moaning at me about WiFi issues! 

@MP1979 

As far as I'm aware the Deco's don't support the 'option 61' that is required for Sky's FTTx services (in the UK).

You can try the below which was posted by a user back in January; using a different TP-Link product...so it may not work.

1.. Connect the network cable from the FTTP wall box to the port labelled WAN or LAN/WAN

2. Login to the router and click advanced at the top.

3. Click Operating Mode and change to "Wireless Router Mode" press "Save"

4. Once ready, while on the "Advanced" setting again, go to "Network" -> "Internet"

5. You will see an empty table, click "Add" in the top right above said table

6. Change Internet Connection Type to "Dynamic IP"

7. Ensure IPv4 remains ticked.

8. Tick IPv6 (wont be selected at the moment)

9. Do not clone mac

10. Press Save

11. Wait, it can take a minute or two but should eventually show connected.

Removing the Sky Hub will mean you can no longer use the 'landline' though.

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@MP1979 failing a direct connection the Deco units should be able to operate in Access Point mode behind the Sky hub with its wifi turned off. See https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1842/

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
MP1979
Topic Author

Thanks @Skull+Treaty.

I'll give this a try, the Decos only have a mobile app really so the browser doesn't let you do much.

I've seen mixed messages about the option 61 not being required on FTTP.
Is that not true?

MP1979
Topic Author

Thanks @Chrisee.

I've tried this but get a few problems with latency and I think double nat issues (although I'm not sure if the root cause).

Would you switch off sky router DHCP when you do this?  

@MP1979 if the deco is in access point mode there is no double NAT that is the whole point. You do lose some of the bells and whistles like parental control on the TP-Link routing programming but the Deco units act as first class wifi satellites. The routing services remain with the Sky hub of course including acting as a DHCP service.

I have 3 Deco M4 units working very succesfully in this set up. 

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
MP1979
Topic Author

Thanks I’ll try this setup again as I know I've struggled with gaming performance for the kids when it was in this mode. But maybe that was an unrelated issue.

@MP1979 follow the instructions in the link I posted as I suspect the Deco units were not in access point mode so you had a double NAT set up which would cause the issues you mention.

This message was authored by Craig142004 This message was authored by: Craig142004

Hi have you had to turn off fast roaming as well? I have found some devices intermittently loose connection to wifi which never happened when I was with BT using the decos in router mode. Since moving to Sky the service has been rather flakey and in router mode connected behind the sky hub only some devices connect. In AP mode most of time everything works but sometimes devices drop (such as iPhones and not old ones) and I need to turn wifi on device off and on again or forget network and re connect. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion