Discussion topic: Third party router with FTTP

This message was authored by stevenma1458 This message was authored by: stevenma1458

Re: Third party router with FTTP

Evening @CyberFriday,

I'm trying to get a third party router, to replace my Sky SR203, on to my recently installed Sky FTTC / VDSL circuit.  May I ask where you obtained or how did you generate the credentials for the IAID & DUID fields?

My Zyxel VMG1312-T20B router has these same fields although my ultimate aim is to use it in Bridge Mode (presumably with VLAN 101?) and my MikroTik router.  If I can prove connectivity with the Zyxel in router mode I can build from there.

I've read a LOT of posts that say that an 'actual' username & password is not required but a string in this format:  12c1ab12aa12@skydsl|123a1a12  possibly with the SR203's MAC address for the first part and 6 or 8 characters after the | for password.

Any help or information gratefully received.  If I successful I'll write up a tutorial.

Thank you in anticipation,

Steve (former Sky Project Manager - but on the broadcast side!)

This message was authored by Biscuit247 This message was authored by: Biscuit247

Hi @stevenma1458 ,

when I was trying to get my credentials, I ended up i stalling Wireshark (free utility, easily found from google) and then rebooting my Sky router to poll for the credentials. Search through the output slowly and you should find it. 

hope this helps!  

This message was authored by stevenma1458 This message was authored by: stevenma1458

Hi, many thanks for your prompt reply @Biscuit247, much appreciated.

So, using laptop / PC, with Wireshark, plugged in to one of the SR203's LAN ports to capture all of the startup network traffic?  Will I see credentials for IAID and DUID in the capture?

Thanks,

Steve

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@stevenma1458 

IAID & DUID shouldn't be enabled for Sky. DHCP Option 61 client identifier field authenticates with Sky and the credentials are 'anything@skydsl|anything' in that field, clearly without the single quotes and 'anything' means anything in its true sense. VLAN should be set to 101 for either the modem or the router itself for VDSL2 FTTC if the modem doesn't have a VLAN setting. There is absolutely no reason to capture anything at all with Wireshark. With FTTP full-fibre the VLAN field is unset.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

Many thanks for replying @mae-3.

Unfortunately the Zyxel, like @CyberFriday's post #20 here: 

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Third-party-router-with-FTTP/td-p/3541862/page/2

with Draytek screenshots is looking for the IAID & DUID credentials.  I'll perhaps have another go with the Zyxel in Bridge Mode and the MikroTik router as that gives me a great deal more flexibility but it'll be tomorrow now.

Any further suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Steve

SkyVDSL1.JPGSkyVDSL2.JPG

This message was authored by CyberFriday This message was authored by: CyberFriday

@stevenma1458  On my Draytek the IAID and DUID values you see on the IPV6 page are not manually inputed by me. They were generated automatically. 

I don't need to use option 61 on ipv4 as i'm fortunate enough that i'm on the bit of the network that natively authenticates on ipv6. 

I'm not sure whether on your Zylex if you have to use option 61 it offers you two other fields to complete. If not then perhaps your IAID and DUID are your username and password fields 

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/sky-fibre-setup-guide#obtaining-login-details

And when i first had sky i used the above guidance to create my option61 creds in the format shown. If you want to use option 61 then you could try going for an ipv4 only setup and see how that works. 

This message was authored by jaybee7 This message was authored by: jaybee7

Hi, I've just had 500Mbps FTTP installed and it's really highlighting how poor the WiFi on my SR203 is, decent speeds right next to the router but it drops right off through any walls (1920s house, brick internal walls everywhere).

I'm looking at the Asus GS-AX5400 which looks like a decent router and it's on sale on Amazon just now, but I can't see anything about whether this specific router will work with Sky, plugged into the ONT.

Has anyone tried this router, will it work and will I see any improvements over the SR203 or should I be looking at a mesh system? Thanks

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@jaybee7 

As far as I know the Rog Asus routers just have a reskin of the normal firmware, if that is the case it should work fine as you just connect it to the ONT and then input the Sky login string in the DHCP Option 61 field

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by Biscuit247 This message was authored by: Biscuit247

Hi @Jaybee1 , I bought this very same router, and it does work with Sky's ONT. I replaced my Sky-issued SR203, and it does work, however I needed to use Wireshark to capture my Client ID details (the mac address is the username but for me, I had to set the password to what my SR203 was using. Once that was applied (and make sure you enable DHCP v6), then it was all good, and the WFI signal is way better. I've found it works perfectly without a mesh system.

Thanks, great info, I'm going to keep looking as I'd like to be able to just plug into the ONT  and go, without having to use wireshark etc if possible. 

This message was authored by nabd This message was authored by: nabd

@jaybee7 I'm using the ASUS RT-AX82U connected directly to the ONT and works just fine. 
As far as I can find, hardware-wise they're almost identical, there are some firmware differences (mostly branding) but nothing major so should be comparable setup wise.

Minimal setup was required with mine, certainly no need to use Wireshark at any stage of the process. 
https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Third-party-router-with-FTTP/m-p/3654828#M243152

I'm using the AI Mesh functionality (AX82 paired with an AX55) and getting the full 150Mbps wirelessly everywhere in the house.

This message was authored by CyberFriday This message was authored by: CyberFriday

@jaybee7 wrote:

Thanks, great info, I'm going to keep looking as I'd like to be able to just plug into the ONT  and go, without having to use wireshark etc if possible. 

@jaybee7  There is definitely no need to resort to wireshark. The best case scenario is that you are on the 80% of the network that support authentication natively on ipv6 so no need for option 61 credentials.

And worst case if not then as long as that router supports option 61 credentials on ipv4 then it's creating a random set as per the spec. Thats a 12 character name eg zaqxswcde123@skydsl and password qazwsx98

Great, thanks, they've only just upgraded our area to FTTP (new boxes went on poles just before Xmas) so hopefully we're not on the legacy system! I've ordered the router so I'll see how I get on.

Thatnks for this @CyberFriday . I had to use wireshark when I set up a netgear router as no other client ID I tried was being accepted. Just tried your suggestion on my Asus router and it works - that's very handy to know.

This message was authored by Aurynfire This message was authored by: Aurynfire

Has there been no change in regards to getting sky's VoIP working on a 3rd party router?

Fantastically Autistic

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion