Discussion topic: Third party router with FTTP

This message was authored by Nannabiff This message was authored by: Nannabiff

Re: Third party router with FTTP

Can anyone advise re setting up an AmpliFi HD please?

This message was authored by -rpnz- This message was authored by: -rpnz-

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @Nannabiff 

I'm not too familiar with that device or setup, but you'll want to enable DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 PD on the WAN.  Looks like this device simply calls them "DHCP" and "DHCP6" under Network Type.

Screenshot 2021-01-08 at 16.19.17.pngScreenshot 2021-01-08 at 16.19.28.png

With those set to DHCP and DHCP6, you should not have to do anything special, the rest you can probably rely on the defaults.

This message was authored by Nannabiff This message was authored by: Nannabiff

@-rpnz-  

Ok great thanks, will let you know how I get on. 

Adam

This message was authored by Richard200sx This message was authored by: Richard200sx

@-rpnz- Do you know if  my Apple AirPort Extreme can be used as a replacement for the SR203 on FTTP with ONT? The supplied router often drops out and needs rebooting. 

Thanks,

Richard. 

This message was authored by directordash This message was authored by: directordash

@IanW73 seriously hope it's that straight forward for me when I switch from BT to Sky tomorrow.  My EdgeRouter is already configured for PPPoE on BT Broadband; connected directly to the ONT.  If all it takes is a switch back to DHCP on the ER-X and a swift restart, I'll be laughing!! 😁

"Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!" - the Big Yin
This message was authored by CyberFriday This message was authored by: CyberFriday

@directordash wrote:

@IanW73 seriously hope it's that straight forward for me when I switch from BT to Sky tomorrow.  My EdgeRouter is already configured for PPPoE on BT Broadband; connected directly to the ONT.  If all it takes is a switch back to DHCP on the ER-X and a swift restart, I'll be laughing!! 😁

@directordash  As @-rpnz-  stated in an earlier post here their fibre to the premises dosen't support PPPoE. He said they use IPoE.   Not sure if this is you router. But, on the setup you will need to your internet  connection type at step 2 to DHCP.
https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002531728-EdgeRouter-Beginners-Guide-to-EdgeRouter

This message was authored by IanW73 This message was authored by: IanW73

Don't forget to ensure that IPv6 PD is enabled as well.

Apparently the odds are good you will connect straight away, a small number of people may have some difficulty, see further up in the thread.

For me, I just selected DHCP, enabled IPv6 PD and to my shock plugged in and was live immediately!

Fingers crossed. 

Posted by a Sky employee

@directordash wrote:

If all it takes is a switch back to DHCP on the ER-X and a swift restart, I'll be laughing!! 😁

Should be, just make sure to setup DHCPv6 PD.

To be 100% sure to have stable DHCPv4 leases, you can add the Option 61 Client-ID on a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter like this:

set interfaces ethernet eth1 dhcp-options client-option "send dhcp-client-identifier "0123456789ab@skydsl|foo" ;"

DHCPv6 PD should look like this under your WAN interface, and then replace "eth0" in here with your LAN interface.  I think on the ER-X they use a bridge interface instead of the physical interfaces:

dhcpv6-pd {
     pd 0 {
         interface eth0 {
             host-address ::1
             prefix-id 0
             service slaac
         }
         prefix-length 56
     }
     prefix-only
     rapid-commit disable
 }

and don't forget to setup the v6 firewall 🙂

Edit: Oh on your "swift restart" comment, it may take up to 5 mins for the old session to time out, when doing router swaps.

Posted by a Sky employee

@Richard200sx wrote:

@-rpnz- Do you know if  my Apple AirPort Extreme can be used as a replacement for the SR203 on FTTP with ONT? The supplied router often drops out and needs rebooting. 

I'm not familiar with the AirPort Extreme sorry.

But the Sky Hub4 (SR203) should not be dropping out and needing rebooting.  The main issue I'm aware of still being a concern is the DHCPv4 server on the LAN.  This will definitely be fixed in the next release, but I'm just not sure when that release is being pushed out. 😞

The other issue I'm tracking is related to the Sky Q STB itself, and that should be fixed in QR16.  Meantime if you make sure all your Q STB and minis are set to Power Mode: None, this can help mitigate some wifi issues.

This message was authored by Richard200sx This message was authored by: Richard200sx

Thanks for replying. I tried the AirPort Extreme but don't think it has the correct settings. 

I went back the Sr203 and then had major DHCP issues. Was giving everything a 169.* IP address. 

After several hours of resetting and messing about it turns out I found a fault with the firmware. DHCP worked while I left the SSID and password standard. As soon as I set it to my own SAID and password it went wrong and gave 169.* addresses. 

Tech support said no point having a new hub as will have the same issue. Said there was a fix coming but no idea when...

I ended up leaving the standard SSID but that meant having to reconnect all of my devices including smart bulbs and plugs etc 😤

I have my Sky Q box connected via Ethernet and have disabled wifi completely on it. 

Thanks for taking the time to reply. 

Richard

This message was authored by directordash This message was authored by: directordash

@IanW73 and has it stayed alive ever since?!

I've went through the basic setup countless times, having had to reset the ER-X because it keeps overloading on the CPU/RAM (don't know which, I can't even login over CLI half the time)... and it's not like I have too many devices on the network. 

Don't know what I'm missing, but am ready to send the ER-X back 😞

"Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!" - the Big Yin
This message was authored by IanW73 This message was authored by: IanW73

@directordash  - it has stayed alive since the initial connection. I did one day cut the power as I did some work to install a Ring Doorbell, and the power to the ONT and router had to be cut. It reconnected again with no issues afterwards.

I will try to attach a screenshot of the settings used on the ER-X.  Mine seems very stable. We have 3 wifi access points and around 33 devices connected to our network currently, CPU @ 20% and RAM @ 30%.

One thing I should have made clearer, when enabling DHCPv6 PD - make sure you choose /56 from the drop down. I have used the Basic Wizard to set mine up, as per the screenshot. I have set eth0 to be the WAN port and combined the other ports into 'switch0' which in effect is my LAN. I then have a managed switch off Port 1 (see top of the screenshot to see 2 green ports in use), but can use ports 3,4,5 for items I want on a differnet subnet but with access to the internet, avoiding congestion of the main home network.

Obvious as it is, but alter the username and password for your router at the same time, so the defaults are removed for security reasons.

I will do my best to help, but I really am a complete novice, and to be honest should be regarded as in the "doesn't have a clue" category of networking expertise (or so I think)...

Screenshot 2021-01-30 at 15.27.53.png

This message was authored by Katecross This message was authored by: Katecross

Re: hird party router with FTTP

Can anyone help in setting up tplink deco m4 with sky fttp. Have to link touter set up no probs but wanting to replace this and I'm stuck . I have enabled the same settings on the decos as to router to no avail 

This message was authored by nabd This message was authored by: nabd

Evening all!
New customer here, just joined Sky with Ultrafast FTTP.
Wanted to pop a message on this thread to thank you all for the great contributions!

TL;DR
I've successfully configured an ASUS RT-AX82U to replace the Sky provided router on my FTTP connection

Openreach installed the new line on Wednesday, all went without hitch. Unfortunately, I live in an older house and the router Sky provided doesn't quite have a big enough impact to provide the high speeds throughout the house.
My pre-FTTP setup consisted of an old Asus RT-N66U, paired with a couple of TP-Link AP's. After a trawl through these forums, I realised my existing hardware wasn't going to be compatible with the new Sky connection so I took the plunge and purchase (with thanks for Amazons daily deals) a new Asus RT-AX82U.
After a couple of frustrating hours playing around with various settings, I have finally managed (thanks to this thread) to get the settings to allow me to replace the Sky router with my new AX82U.

These are the steps I took;

On the WAN setup set the following:
- Connection Type - Automatic
- Client-Identifier (option 61) - 0123456789ab@skydsl|foo
I then followed this document to enable IPv6. 
Saved the settings and shut down the router.
Removed the cable from port 4 on my Sky router, placed it in the WAN port of my Asus router and powered it on. 

After a few moments the router received an IP address and the internet connection was active!
I've included a couple of screenshots for anyone else looking to configure an Asus router in the same way.

wan-internet.png
ip6.png

This message was authored by Jonno679 This message was authored by: Jonno679

Well it's been a bit of a mind twister reading and trying to get my head around it as I don't really understand this stuff,

But I have managed to get my Asus GT AC5300 router connected to my fttp with sky! Absolute madness why they make it so difficult! Spent about 5 hrs reading and trying things last night to no avail then woke up this morning and had it done in 30 mins 🤷

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion