Discussion topic: Tesla Wall Charger has lost connection to wifi and now will not reconnect

This message was authored by 1847 This message was authored by: 1847

Tesla Wall Charger has lost connection to wifi and now will not reconnect

My tesla wall charger was connected to our wifi successfully for last 4 months and then all of a sudden it lost connection and now wont connect, have tried on many occasions but to no joy.

Is it the network or the tesla charger thats at fault?

many thanks

Best Answers
This message was authored by KevNewMedia This message was authored by: KevNewMedia Answer

Re: Tesla Wall Charger has lost connection to wifi and now will not reconnect

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi Everyone

We're grateful for the forum feedback that alerted us to the software issue impacting some smart home products. Our team has worked diligently to understand and resolve this. The root cause was traced to a recent software update.

As some of you noticed, we've initiated a rollback to a previous software version on many devices. We will be rolling back Sky and NOW devices; rest assured this should be completed in the coming days – keep an eye out.

Your routers will receive this update automatically, so we recommend keeping them on overnight for the best results. In some cases, devices like the WarmUp may require a restart to reconnect effectively after the update.

Thank you for your understanding and assistance in helping us to resolve this problem.

Thanks
Kev
Community Manager

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@1847  It's difficult to know if it the hub or the charger, have you contacted the tesla about the charger?

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

Topic Author

Hi GD1 - yes tesla contacted and they are researching after i went through adiagnostics check with them. Tesla requested i report the issue to sky too but not sure how i do that as all i keep getting is an AI bot when i try to report it thats about as helpful as a chocolate fireguard😂

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@1847 

To get Skys view on this you'll need to call them. If you already have a Sky Mobile or from your Sky Talk landline call free by dialling 150, otherwise you can use:
https://www.sky.com/help/home
UK customers: Scroll down and click on ‘Need more help’ and it provides a 0333 number.
ROI customers: change the flag in the bottom right corner of the link to the ROI flag then scroll down and click on ‘Need more help’ and it provides a 0818 number.
(The forum doesn’t allow us to type the numbers in full).

You will find that similar to calling other large companies the start will be automated which may also try to send you back to the forum.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@1847 as far as I.know the Tesla chargers only connect to the 2.4GHz wifi band which is often highly congested as there is only room for 3 or most4 networks without conflict. As a test reboot your Sky hub as that will make it find the least congested channel which may restore the connection. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Topic Author

I spent all day saturday rebooting both the sky router and the tesla charger, i also tried getting it to interact with a personal hotspot set up on another phone...all to no avail.

Just wondering whether any other sky users had the same issue as when i spoke to Tesla the first question was 'is your broadband supplier Sky?'....the question definitely wasnt 'who is your broadband supplier'.....this was followed by a comment about sky not liking the mac address of the wall charger.

Curious to see if other sky users have had issues with tesla products not connecting to the sky broadband?

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@1847  If you tried with a mobile hotspot it would suggest a charger issue.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by Moshah This message was authored by: Moshah

I just bought a new Tesla Wall connector and had the issue when conneting to sky hub.

Ony day 1 it connected to the wifi but no internet connection. I restarted everything and nothing. 
Call Tesla they said try conning to mobile hotspot and it did connect successfully. They told me it's an issue with your Sky settings. 
I than reconnected to my home Sky wifi and it connected successfully for 5 mins and disconnected again.

When I restart the hub or disconnect and reconnect wifi by swapping to mobile hotspot it connects. 

Tesla has left the case open but no solution so far. Asked me to contact Sky to adjust settings. Is there a firewall or traffic that causes it to disconnect and reconnection failures? 

This message was authored by KevNewMedia This message was authored by: KevNewMedia

Posted by a Sky employee

Thank you for these examples.

Our support teams are investigating this issue, and I'll update the thread when I have more information.

Thanks
Kev
Community Manager
This message was authored by JamesJenkins This message was authored by: JamesJenkins

I have this issue too.

If I connect the wall charger to my phone hostspot it can access the internet fine

Last time I connected to my phone then back to my sky q hub it could access the internet for a minute or so then it is back to saying "wall connector offline"

This started on the 29th Nov

Are sky blocking traffic from the wall connector to Tesla's endpoint?

@JamesJenkins its nothing intentional but several different devices/apps started having issues around the same time. Sky are aware of the issue and it is being dealt with as a priority. 

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Moshah This message was authored by: Moshah

I tried every setting in sky hub to resolve this by changing IP, Proxy, DNS, WiFi Channels etc.. but nothing works.

This is a very specific problem, as all other devices in my house are nicely connected to Sky Hub except the Tesla Wall connecter which is happing IP configuration issues. 
On the contrary, any other network including hotspots (from Vodafone and EE) work with Tesla Wall connector without issues except Sky hub.  

Bit strange..

Are there any technical experts in Sky who can troubleshoot this? I am sure it would be easy to this if someone who knows networks in depth.  I never thought it would be so tricky to connect a device to internet in 2023.

This message was authored by Thejoys This message was authored by: Thejoys

I have the same problem with my Gen3 Walk connector and mine too started on the 13th November and hasn't connected since.

@Moshah & @Thejoys see the post marked as the answer from Sky confirming this issue is under investigation. It appears to affect other systems apart from Tesla chargers including heating controls, and security systems and has been given a very high priority. There is nothing customers can do by changing hub settings so it is advised not to make changes.

Sky will post an update when one is available probably by editing the answer post. Finding the cause is the simple part of fixing these issues the hard part is testing solutions to find if they work and just as important that they dont break something else. This takes time and Sky do not give a running commentary while this work is on-going.

This message was authored by PTrea This message was authored by: PTrea

My chargers not been working either and we are with Sky. Total pain having to charge during the day. I will register the issue with Sky as well, I have tried all the different ways described in the thread and by Tesla. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion