Highlighted
Researcher
Post 46 of 53

Re: Terrible WiFi connection since Sky Q upgrade

What are these channels as I don't no much about tech stuff? Thanks

Runner
Post 47 of 53

I am low tech too but if you type   192.168.0.1   into your browser address bar and press enter it takes you to your Sky hub.  Select the [WIRELESS] tab and under the [2.4Ghz wireless settings] you can select Desired Channel from 1 to 13 then use the APPLY button at the bottom of the page - it may take a minute to update to the newly selected channel.

If you seach the internet for Sky hub settings, IP address etc. I am sure it will come up with plenty of advice on accessing your router and making changes.

Hope that helps.

Researcher
Post 48 of 53

That's great thank you so much for your help really appreciate it.

Oracle
Post 49 of 53

Sky's guide here also explains how to change your router's wireless channel.

Researcher
Post 50 of 53

Before you go changing your channel for the Wi-Fi I recommend downloading a free app for your phone called Wi-Fi Analyzer, im sure there are loads of free ones if you cant find that one.

Then you can see what if any other users / interference is on any particular channel.

My 5G is on channel 36, no other signals picked up anywhere close to that…. And guess what…. The WiFi still drops, lags and generally is rubbish….

Viewer
Post 51 of 53

Thanks for this tip, I'd been on to Sky and they've been useless. Nothing but generic responses about WiFi being individual to a household. 

I'd tried splitting the bands and manually setting the channels (not many options for 5Ghz), without luck. I used WiFi Analyser and could see the signal dropping every min or so. I've changed the LAN side option and this is no longer happening on the app. Have to see next few days if it fixes the issues with WiFi on Android devices.

Any downsides to this option being off? Couldn't see any searching online, I don't remote connect to anything or run a home server. 

Thanks

Runner
Post 52 of 53

Hi PieTheSky.  Can you explain "LAN side option" please? 

Viewer
Post 53 of 53

Hi, I was referring to P-roc post on page 2 about it resolving their issue. I did quote, but didn't work.

The option is under advanced and then LAN IP setup. There's an option to untick LAN side IPV6. My understanding is it'll mean your own devices will then be given IPV4 rather 6 IPs on the network. So far seems to have worked for my dropouts and I can only assume Sky have implemented the IPv6 option badly. 

Recommended Threads
14-07-2018 09:16 PM
Oracle 10-08-2018 07:08 PM
Community Manager 29-10-2018 09:24 AM
Oracle 02-11-2018 08:27 PM
3 weeks ago 07:34 AM