Terrible WiFi connection since Sky Q upgrade

Researcher
Post 31 of 53

Re: Terrible WiFi connection since Sky Q upgrade

After reading many posts on here its clear Sky have a problem, the router they provide is just not up to the job of spreading the WiFi load across multiple devices within the home.

Before switching to SKY Q i had an ISP with PlusNet and used a £200 Netgear WifI router. That system worked a treat but I needed to upgrade our Sky TV package, as is  usual with out of contract prices, I was paying Sky way too much for way too little.

The “salesman” from Sky convinced me that their new Sky Q Wi-Fi is amazing, as the TV ad says…. Well… let me tell you they should be reported for misleading advertising because I don’t know who has told them their Wi-Fi is great around the house, certainly wasn’t any SKY Q users that’s for sure…..

Why aren’t Sky employees all over this thread making suggestions on how to rectify this terrible lagging & dropping problem with their router???? Is it perhaps because they know there is NOTHING THEY CAN DO ABOUT IT, and would rather just ignore the issue? Lets face it the number of new SKY Q contracts they have, its probably only a small proportion of people who would be bothered to complain, and what better way to deal with them then just ignore them….

If there are any SKY representatives reading this thread, come up with a solution as to why so many people are complaining about your terrible WiFi signal…. I for one would like to hear that…. And I don’t mean make terrible suggestions like you have to be close to the router to pick up Wi-Fi. As has been stated above by many people this simply is not a problem of router location within the home.

Lets see what Sky have to say…

Oracle
Post 32 of 53

@SkyQpoorWifi it's unlikely Sky will reply as this is primarily a forum for customers to help each other. Sky are developing a new router for delivery next year. which will, hopefully, have improved wifi performance. Meanwhile, have you considered continuing to use your Netgear router, if it's compatible with Sky Fibre?

Researcher
Post 33 of 53

I have an old sky router would this work better? And can I still use the old router? Thanks

Researcher
Post 34 of 53

It's a problem with the router looks like sky are making excuses I had sky 4yrs ago internet was fine but moved to virgin internet was fantastic moved back to sky 2months ago and its shocking sort your routers out and stop blaming it on where the router is or saying is blocking it it's total rubbish!!!!!!

Runner
Post 35 of 53

So after 4 phone calls to sky and 3 very unhelpful members telling me it's my devices which need sorting... yesterday I rang sky for exactly the same issue and straight away the guy told me they would replace the router! Hopefully this will solve my issue!

Researcher
Post 36 of 53

Hi I just switched to SkyQ router and I actually thought I’d been sent a faulty router. I got speeds of around 26 before I switched now I get 2meg. Sky.com tells me I get 60 to my router and my setup is great at home but it’s actually useless and unusable. So glad I’ve come across your post and the replies that followed. Found the post about the guy saying sky doesn’t guarantee their Wi-fi hilarious as this was their biggest selling point for me after the price . They told me this new skyQ router was the best router of all the isps and the Wi-Fi signal is fantastic and again far superior to their competitors. They can’t have it both ways. Will be calling them tomorrow to hear what they have to say. I’m no noob in the computing world hence that’s why I thought the router was faulty, I still do but if everyone’s in the same boat as I am with poor Wi-fi then are all our routers faulty? To me after reading this thread it looks more like we’ve been given absolutely crap tech and been lied too. I got a good deal on my fibre so I guess I’ll maybe have to look at a 3rd party router and see what hassles this brings me from Sky as I’ve also read sky insist customers use their tech. 

Researcher
Post 37 of 53

@Jody84 Hi did you try your old router? I’m going to stick the old one back on later today and see the what I get. When I went to Sky Max the sales rep told me I had to use the new one. 

Runner
Post 38 of 53

Funnily enough I only started having this problem when I switched over to sky Q about 4 months ago. I don't understand why my upload speed is dropping out every so often which then I have to use 4G on my phone!

3 times I called sky and every time they asked me where my router was... send pictures... reset router... blah blah blah but when I rang 2 days ago the guy actually said that the router could be faulty and they will replace. Hopefully it was the router! 

Researcher
Post 39 of 53

Be interesting to see how the new router goes.

I don't have Sky TV everything I watch is through my internet. My friend gave me his login to BT openzone so I have internet I can use until I get this sorted, that's how bad my internet is now.

Wish I'd not bothered changing but when I'm offered almost double my speed for less money and promised a super duper new high tech router aswell seemed silly not to upgrade.

Researcher
Post 40 of 53

It's the routers that are the problem sky couldn't lie straight in bed just wish thay would stop saying it's our problem I have the same amount of devices and my internet was great when with virgin wish I hadn't changed, just want to no if I can use my old sky router? 

Researcher
Post 41 of 53

@Robbi3uk be interesting to see if the router they send you is the same model or a new version...

When you get it and have it connected, go to the Sky Hub on your PC and look in the Maintance tab > Router Status sub tab and see if it shows the below details:

Systems Details
Manufacturer Sky
Model ER115
Firmware Version 2.08.2406.R
DSL Firmware VersionA2pv6F039m1.d24m

If it is the same, im guessing your going to have the same problems, but im sure everyone on here would be keen to find out if Sky now have a newer modem that they are shipping to customers that complain hard enough.

I hope for your sake (and mine) that the new router is a totally new model and we can all get some internet and get on with our lives / work etc...
Runner
Post 42 of 53

Systems Details
Manufacturer Sky
Model ER115
Firmware Version 2.07.2356.R

Ok so these are the details you wanted. As you can see the model is exactly the same. Now I've set it up I'm going to monitor over the next 24 hours and see if it's any better or just the same. 

Currently writing this post I am on Wi-Fi rather than 4g.. which makes a change lol.
Oracle
Post 43 of 53

@SkyQpoorWifi wrote:

...but im sure everyone on here would be keen to find out if Sky now have a newer modem that they are shipping to customers that complain hard enough.

Not at the moment. There's a new, 'next generation' router in course of development, for delivery next year.

Researcher
Post 44 of 53

I haven't put the old one back on yet have used the old one yet?

Highlighted
Runner
Post 45 of 53

While we are comparing SkyQ router specs I note mine has a slightly newer version of Firmware:

Manufacturer Sky
Model ER115
Firmware Version 2.08.2406.R

I phoned Sky earlier in the week about my poor WiFi speeds and sudden drop offs down to sub 1Mbps downloads.  For once I got through quickly and to someone who seemed switched on.  They homed in on the frequency setting and recommended going to Channel 8 (a bit contrary to what others have suggested).  I may be speaking too soon but since I switched to that I have not suffered download speeds less than about 10Mbps which seems encouraging and mostly I get closer to 20Mbps which, while not stunning, is good for most general purposes.  

According to the guy I spoke to the "Auto" default frequency setting is nothing of the kind and does not automatically find the optimum channel.  He recommended channel 8 because everyone tends to use the lowest or highest but few plump for 8 or 4 so you are less likely to get contention with your neighbours.  Sounded semi-plausible except I don't have too many neighbours.  Anyhow, as I say, so far there may have been improvement but I shall report back when this seems like a permanent improvement.

If Sky does not at least monitor the community chat and use it to steer customer service and product development they are missing a big source of feedback but as others have said, it would be good if they could actually inject some useful input into the chat (especially when so many customers are clearly not happy).

Recommended Threads
14-07-2018 09:16 PM
Oracle 10-08-2018 07:08 PM
Oracle 12-09-2018 08:12 PM
Community Manager 29-10-2018 09:24 AM
Oracle 02-11-2018 08:27 PM