Discussion topic: Switch to a new provider after price changes

This message was authored by Joanna993 This message was authored by: Joanna993

Switch to a new provider after price changes

Hi

I received the email from Sky a few days ago about upcoming price changes.  My broadband contract doesn't end until next June (as Sky renewed my contract in November without notifying me, due to moving house), but I understand that I can avoid the early termination charges if I cancel within 30 days of the price increase.  

Obviously I still need broadband so I'm going to switch to EE. My question is - if I want to avoid the early termination charges, do I need to contact Sky to cancel and separately get set up with EE?  If I do a normal "switch" by just letting EE know I want to switch to them, will I get charged the early termination fee because I'm not explicitly cancelling because of the price increase?  I tried asking Sky this on the live chat and they just told me to speak to the new provider and they "may cover the fees" - but the point is, there shouldn't be any fees in the first place!  Any help appreciated. 

All Replies

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

Re: Switch to a new provider after price changes

@Joanna993 In the e-mail you recieved from sky, if it does say that you can cancel without an early termination fee then that would be a fact.

EE should take care of the complete swap from SKY to EE, they will contact and inform sky that they are the new provider for your broadband.

BUT you should read the e-mail VERY carefully and if you suspect that there may be a charge be carefull of the decision you make, you are only a couple of months into your contract so have a long time to go.

Moving premises normally always involves new 18 month contract, and should be in you message section of your my sky account, you may also want to look at that.

Added link for you read when you have time.

Charges for ending your Sky contract early | Sky Help | Sky.com

@Joanna993 Just checked the sky e-mail, and is a little bit confusing so copied the extract, i read it as you would be better to call so not sure if the EE switch also applies.

See the extract

We hope you’ll continue to enjoy our services, but if you’re not happy with these changes, you can cancel your Sky Broadband and/or Boost and/or Talk service(s) by calling (removed). If you’re within your minimum contract period, call us within 30 days of getting this email to avoid early termination charges. Unless you tell us otherwise, your Sky subscription will continue as normal.

Moderator note: Removed phone number.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Joanna993 be careful check the price with EE after their 7.9% price rise due on 31/3. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

@Chrisee And still may be better than sky's 17.5% increase.

@JimM1 no idea why you have a 17.5% increase the average announced by Sky is 6.7% - see here for a comparison of all providers https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/guides/mid-contract-price-rises/

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

@Chrisee Sorry my mistake using non discounted figures, Broadband increase is 8.86%

Sky Talk is 18.5%, and over all from old price to new price is 17.40% as my average.

Think someone has the calculation wrong, BB 3.50 + ST 2.50 increases.

@JimM1 nobody like increases and rates do vary across the products but I doubt the average 6.7% is wrong because of if it was Sky would be in deep trouble with the regulators. If you believe they are higher complain to the ASA and Ofcom. Every customer will receive a personal notification and with Sky Broadband they can switch without penalty within 30 days which does not apply to many of their competitors (see the USwitch link I gave)

EE have a contact term of CPI +3.9% so customers cant switch without penalties as they are deemed to have accepted the term.  

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion