Supposedly received speed boost but tests suggest no change.

This topic has been answered
Go to Answer
Boom Operator
Post 16 of 35

Re: Supposedly received speed boost but tests suggest no change.

@OGsagex

I live near Exeter in East Devon, somewhat rural.

Boom Operator
Post 17 of 35

After the last post regarding the RJ11 between the phone socket and the master, I realised there was something very heavy resting on a tightly wound coil of slack cabling near the phone socket, naturally I shifted it so as not to wear out the cable.

And then I did a few speed tests and got results of 60mbps downstream.

I wonder if it was freeing the crushed cabling or if it were Sky Fibre fairies working through the night?

Probably the latter I suspect.

I'll keep checking, but can I expect it to rise above 65mbps?

Oracle
Post 18 of 35

@SandraWilson very long RJ11 cables can cause slower sync speeds especially if coiled. If possible  I would replace it and consider having the master socket moved nearer to where the hub is and your speeds may indeed rise a bit. Sky will do this for you but may charge. VDSL signals fibre broadband uses are quite high frequency and are easily disrupted by poor cabling.

That cable however would have zero impact on the wired speetest you ran, normally you will get a test of around 60Mb/s max on a 65Mb/s sync - there are unavoidable network overheads that take the difference. These days one of the issues is ensuring the network is doing anything else as devices often usecquiet times to update etc which is the probable explanation.

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Oracle
Post 19 of 35

The Cat5, 5e, 6 etc are for ethernet, the rj11 cables are for telephone/broadband. You are right that the limiting factor of broadband speed is the copper but Fibre broadband to the cabinet (FTTC) only replaces the coper wiring from the exchange to your cabinet. The wire from your cabinet to your home and inside your home is still copper.

If your adsl cable is very long I'd recommend replacing it with a shorter one as you'll likely be limiting your speed. 

Researcher
Post 20 of 35

Good to see someone local get these increases - I for one live in Exeter and cannot see my speed increasing anytime soon!!!!

Boom Operator
Post 21 of 35

@gammiss oh I assumed it was for the whole area, I hope you get your speed increase soon!

Might it be possible we've gotten it earlier as a perk for being loyal customers? While we only signed up to Sky Broadband last year, we've had Sky TV for over 15 years now.

Also, if anyone's interested, we're up to 76404 downstream sync now. Swoosh!

PortStatusTxPktsRxPktsCollision PktsTx b/sRx b/sUp Time
WANMER4712699444698786010716867179522059:51:27
LANUp5861840649903628657184790010741552126:03:28
WLAN (2.4 GHz)Up6486642190488902627074464:26:23
WLAN (5 GHz)Up761592067669027000064:25:34

Broadband LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed (Kbps)7640419951
Line Attenuation (dB)DS1:12.0    DS2:32.7    DS3:38.5US0:4.4    US1:24.2    US2:33.2
Noise Margin (dB)DS1:6.1    DS2:6.2    DS3:6.2US0:5.8    US1:6.0    US2:6.0

Researcher
Post 22 of 35

@SandraWilson Unfortunately not!!!! I'm assuming it's because we're on an old cabinet - I've been with sky for a number of years

Researcher
Post 23 of 35

I'm making this sound like I have bad speed - We're OK on 35 but as the number of devices entering into the house increase so does the need for the speed of broadband to compete.

Oracle
Post 24 of 35

@gammiss the upgrades are offered by area but neither Sky or Openreach have defined which exchanges get done and the timecscale was 3 to 4 months starting in December. The good news is any cabinet can offer the 80Mb/s service - my own cabinet was one of the first installed - all the upgrade is changing the speed cap from 40Mb/s to 80Mb/s which is done remotely no work is required on the cabinet..

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Researcher
Post 25 of 35

Thanks for the clarification @Chrisee

Runner
Post 26 of 35

Hi

Mine is the same, email said new speed would take upto 72 hours

3 days later theres no change in speed very disapointed

Oracle
Post 27 of 35

Post your router statistics @Paul1708 and someone here will be happy to take a look. The sticky post at the top of the forum explains how.

Highlighted
Runner
Post 28 of 35

Hi

Just an update i have checked my speeds for the last few days and it went from 37-38 which is what i was getting before the boost then it went up to 50.8 for one day, now its back to 37-38mb

Researcher
Post 29 of 35

Hi  

Jumping on to same topic I had a speed boost 3 weeks ago and my speed should be 62mb but my speed is  less than 32mb download.  I have a pre filtered socket and my router is connected to the master socket via a power line.to  my Desktop upstairs  Though today I tested it with my laptop connected  to  the router via cable next to the master socket.  Contacted Sky who are sending out an engineer on Wed who can hopefully do something.  Whats this speed guarantee that they bang on about and moving you to the next best product?  

Also before the speed boost my speed was stable around 40mbs.  Nothings changed in my home setup - puzzled.

Screenshot (1).png

Oracle
Post 30 of 35

@Paul1708 wrote:

Hi

Just an update i have checked my speeds for the last few days and it went from 37-38 which is what i was getting before the boost then it went up to 50.8 for one day, now its back to 37-38mb

Hi @Paul1708 as @Mark39 has said can you post your router stats? A guide on how to do that can be found here