Discussion topic: Sonos and smart home devices keep randomly disconnecting

This message was authored by nibbers This message was authored by: nibbers

Sonos and smart home devices keep randomly disconnecting

Hi all,

I have had a number of smart devices and a SONOS system connected to my wifi for well over a year, and yet in the past month or so random devices and speakers have been dropping off the network.

The only fix is restarting the Sky Hub but that, more often than not, either doesn't work or kicks of a different device in favour for letting another one on.

I've done some research and it seems I have well under the upperbound capacity of the hub's capabilities to handle, and it seems like a recent thing.

I'm thinking about replacing the router or adding a bridge but it seems like I'm opening a can of worms I'd rather not. Does anyone have any advice or experienced similar issues of random, new drop offs?

Thanks in advance!

Best Answers
This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder Answer

Re: Sonos and smart home devices keep randomly disconnecting

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@nibbers  Have you tried spliiting your Wi-Fi to see if this helps with keeping the devices connected to the network?

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@nibbers  What frequency are the devices all connecting to or are they just trying to grab on to the best signal?

nibbers
Topic Author

@Highlinder thanks for your reply! I've looked at the devices and I can't see whether they are using 2.4GHZ or 5GHZ. The option "Synchronise 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Settings" is checked so I guess it's trying for the best signal?

Apologies if I've missed something. Networks have never been my strong point.

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder Answer

@nibbers  Have you tried spliiting your Wi-Fi to see if this helps with keeping the devices connected to the network?

nibbers
Topic Author

Thanks for the suggestion @Highlinder . I have now split the network and everything was visible straight away and is on 2.4GHZ.

That's a promising start so thank you for your help. If I can go a week without dropping one of the SONOS speakers or smart home devices then that could be the fix.

Out of interest, is there any better option to join out of the 2.4GHZ or 5GHZ bands?

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@nibbers  It does not really matter if they are joined or apart, but if it works for you split then I would leave it alone.

If you try to join them and the problem comes back then you have your solution and that is to keep them apart.

nibbers
Topic Author

Thanks so much for your help @Highlinder. It's been a week and everything has been stable! Longest period of stability for a while. Much appreciated!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion