Discussion topic: Smart Toshiba TV cannot connect to Wifi

This message was authored by Graciekate This message was authored by: Graciekate

Smart Toshiba TV cannot connect to Wifi

We have a new Toshiba smart tv which refuses to connect to Wifi.

I have spoken to Toshiba help twice.

I have spent several hours trying to find a solution.

I have tried connecting via WPS and password.

It will connect via a wired connection but that is not a long term option.

I have reset the router and the tv now several times.

I have disconnected the booster.

I have done a factory reset of the tv.

I have followed every instruction that Toshiba can give me.

I have entered in the SKY password so many times I can recall the ridiculous thing!

Toshiba have said that there is nothing else that they can do and I need to speak to SKY.

However, the tv immediately connects to my phone hotspot no problem so I don't think that there is a problem with the tv - just the connection between the router and the tv.

Does anyone have any other possible solutions??

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Smart Toshiba TV cannot connect to Wifi

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Graciekate 

When you say intermittently connects to your phone, what exactly do you mean by this? If its playing up when connected to your phone as well then this suggests the TV is faulty?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Graciekate
Topic Author
This message was authored by Graciekate This message was authored by: Graciekate

This message was authored by:

Hi @jamesn123 

No, I said that it immediately connects to my phone. There are no problems with the connection there at all. which implies that there isn't an issue with the tv connection.

@Graciekate 

Sorry read that wrong.

I would suggest you try splitting the WiFi bands on your Sky hub and then connecting the TV to the 2.4ghz band as it may not like having both bands synced together in one SSID. I can provide instructions on how to do this if you need

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Graciekate
Topic Author

Hi @jamesn123 I'm very happy to try anything at this point otherwise the tv has to go! 

I'm not using the 5GHz option as I was told not to do that but that's where my knowledge ends! 

@Graciekate 

Not using the option?

Can you post your router stats?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
This message was authored by todbod This message was authored by: todbod

I've had a Toshiba "smart" TV for a few years. The connection is always droping out. I only paid £200 and it works OK as a normal telly so can't be bothered to ask for a replacement from John Lewis.

If I were you i would return it. I suspect you are going to have problems ongoing with connectivity.

p.s. I have also tried ethernet via a working extender and that doesn't connect either. 

@Graciekate 

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Graciekate 

It would be useful to have the model number of the smart Toshiba TV?

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by JPR007 This message was authored by: JPR007

@todbod Connecting a device via an Ethernet cable off of a Wi-Fi extender is pointless, as you are still using and receiving the same poor Wi-Fi signal for the connection. You either need to run a direct cable from the router or look for Powerline adapters.

@Graciekate That seems odd someone told you don't use 5GHz, who gave that advice? If you plan a network and devices properly you should use a combination of both bands.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

** No - I have nothing to do with Sky **
This message was authored by todbod This message was authored by: todbod

No it's not. The extender is wired via the ring main. Antway it wouldn't work. I just tried wifi again and it connected first time on the 5GHZ option and is working ok (for now)

This message was authored by CyberFriday This message was authored by: CyberFriday

@Graciekate  Have you tried logging into the router and changing the WiFi password. Make it different to the router's admin password. And have you checked that the security settings for the tv WiFi match what you have set on the router ?

This message was authored by SHMorgan This message was authored by: SHMorgan

Hi, our toshiba smart tv is not connecting to Wi-Fi. We have tried everything. It works with an ethernet cable but not wirelessly. 

The closest we have got is in advanced settings we changed the ip config to manual and it was trying to connect but then disconnects again. 

Any advice welcome! TIA. 

This message was authored by SHMorgan This message was authored by: SHMorgan

Hi @Graciekate did you ever get to the bottom of the issue with your tv connection to Wi-Fi? We have the same problem and, like you, seem to have tried everything! Any tips would be appreciated. 

Graciekate
Topic Author

Hi @SHMorgan 

Unfortunately I just kept persevering and it eventually connected (after many, MANY attempts.) However, it's just been disconnected again due to broadband issues and now I have to start again. I'm just building up the courage to try! Sorry I never found an easy solution to help you with.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion