Slow speed help

Answered
Go to Answer
Researcher
Post 1 of 5

Slow speed help

Hi all, I've had Sky broadband for over a year now but getting my upgrade to fibre max in 10 days or so. As it stands my internet is unusable but I can't figure out why.

My estimated speed is 17mbp/s. Reality has always been in and around 10mpb/s. Current getting less than 1 and even loading this web page was an effort. Posted stats below but they seem normal. I'm doing a speed test(fast.com) from my desktop PC which is connected via ethernet to my Sky Q Hub router. My mobile when connected to wifi is also have serious issues.

image.png

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Answer

Best Answers
Answer
Researcher
Post 5 of 5

Re: Slow speed help

Another update:

I installed my old Sky router and my connection is back to normal so I assume I have a faulty Sky Q Hub?

All Replies
Oracle
Post 2 of 5

The upstream connection speed reported by your router is quite poor, given your distance from the exchange. That may indicate a fault which isn't otherwise reflected in your downstream stats. Clearly on a wired connection  to your router, with no other online activity you should be seeing speed test results of 13-14Mbps. The issue may go away when your fibre upgrade is activated, if the fault lies between the exchange and your fibre cabinet. If it lies between the cabinet and your master phone socket, your fibre speed may also be affected. You could report a throughput issue to Sky now, or wait and see what happens after the upgrade.

Highlighted
Researcher
Post 3 of 5

Thanks! I’m a bit confused because while the connection has never been good, it’s normally useable. This is the worst it’s ever been. 

I only received my new sky router yesterday and was advised to hook it up immediately but if anything it helped my connection. Yesterday we were streaming Netflix and playing online games with no issues. This morning however I’ve peaked at 2mbp/s down. 

Researcher
Post 4 of 5

Not sure if it’s of any extra help but as stated I have a wired connection to my PC but I’ve noticed my mobile can’t hold a WiFi connection and every 30 seconds I get put back on to 4G.

I tested my broadband connection from the sky log in page and it said the connection and speed to my router was okay. 

Points to the router being the issue but seems strange it worked yesterday with no issues. 

I have a sky  engineer coming later today so install Sky Q TV so helpdesk said to speak to him and he may have a new router to test. 

Answer
Researcher
Post 5 of 5

Another update:

I installed my old Sky router and my connection is back to normal so I assume I have a faulty Sky Q Hub?

Recommended Threads
14-07-2018 09:16 PM
Oracle 10-08-2018 07:08 PM
Oracle 02-11-2018 08:27 PM
3 weeks ago 07:34 AM
Oracle 12-09-2018 08:12 PM