Discussion topic: Sky wont upgrade my broadband

This message was authored by YRogers This message was authored by: YRogers

Sky wont upgrade my broadband

If anyone has any ideas they would be greatly received.

I'm currently stuck with superfast 35 and could really do with an upgrade. Everytime I ring sky they say I'm on the fastest package for my area which is garbage. My semi detached neighbour is with sky also and has has upwards of 60Mb/s. Other neighbours also have over 60 with other suppliers. We are on the same pole outside and go to the same bt box up the road.

If I say I'm moving to my house using the speed checker I'm offered 61Mb/s on the sky website.

Getting frustrated as sky will not help and I'm paying extra for a lesser package. They said they understand my frustration but cannot help me.

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: Sky wont upgrade my broadband

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@YRogers  Please can you post the results from this link 1st remove any address info before posting.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

YRogers
Topic Author

Thanks for your response. here is the results

YRogers_0-1719309582795.png

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@YRogers 

It certainly appears 80/20Mbs should be available as well as 40/10.

Is it possible you're signed up to the Social Tariff broadband product?  That's capped to the lower band.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
YRogers
Topic Author

I could not tell you. Have been on the same package from almost the 1st day it was rolled out in our area.

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@YRogers 

Isp's usually reserve lower speed slots in the cabinet for people who just need 40Mbps so that they can lease/purchase them for less than an 80Mbps so it is possible that there are 40Mbps slots available whilst the full 80Mbps slots are all taken up.  Unfortunately there's no way on the checker to differentiate 80Mbps slot from 40Mbps slot availability.   So you would probably just need to keep checking with sky 

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by garethezy This message was authored by: garethezy

Good afternoon,

Could this possibly be the same reason why Sky are addiment that I am on the 'fastest available' when I know on GFAST my cabinet can go up to 330Mbps? 

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@garethezy 

That speed suggests fttp on demand which apart from vouchers up to around £2000 or thereabouts the rest of the cost is payable by the customer and that can exceed £10000

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

@garethezy 

P.S. could you post the details from bt checker after removing your address from the image

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@garethezy 

I think G.Fast sales are stopping now...

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@garethezy wrote:

Sky are addiment that I am on the 'fastest available' when I know on GFAST my cabinet can go up to 330Mbps? 

As @jamesn123 indicates, I don't think any major ISP is now reselling G.fast

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/10/the-misery-of-diminishing-choice-in-g-fast-uk-broadban... 

and Openreach has started withdrawing associated infrastructure in areas now served by FTTP.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2024/06/openreach-update-on-closure-of-g-fast-cabinets-in-uk-f... 

This message was authored by garethezy This message was authored by: garethezy

Hello All

We still have GFAST and we are currently not in an Openreach Priority area to transfer to FTTP. 

@cookiemonsteruk  from the cabinet checker i should in theory have speeds up to 330Mbps:

Annoyingly i don't have permission to upload images but my information can be found here: Cabinet Information Screenshot 

Many thanks all for your help

@garethezy 

Historically Sky only ever resold Ultrafast 1 (wholesale 'up to' 150Mbs service) on G.fast, even where an address could theoretically get the 'up to' 300Mbs version: that's a business decision rather than a technical limitation.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@garethezy you may find this article  from ISP review which looked at which ISPs were still selling G.Fast but it is 8 months old and the list will be decreasing not increasing. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion