Discussion topic: Sky ultrafast far slower than minimum guaranteed speed

This message was authored by callen0712 This message was authored by: callen0712

Sky ultrafast far slower than minimum guaranteed speed

Hello,

Looking for some help - I have recently moved house and as part of the move was upsold into Sky Ultrafast with a guaranteed minimum download speed of 100mb/s. 

On both wired and wireless connections across multiple devices I sit at around 6 mb/s, far lower than the 100 mb/s I was hoping for. 

When running diagnostics on the router, both the downstream/upstream connection speeds at showing as 0kb. I am not quite sure what to make of it. 

router diagnostic.png

skydownloadspeed.png

  

All Replies

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Re: Sky ultrafast far slower than minimum guaranteed speed

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@callen0712  Could you run a speed test for the community at please

https://fast.com/ 

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@callen0712 

Are you running anything in the back ground. Your rx bits per second show something is using 86 Mbps

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
callen0712
Topic Author
This message was authored by callen0712 This message was authored by: callen0712

Thank you for your help both. 

I have completed a speed test, but needless to say I am not seeing that speed in my downloads. It is higher, but still not up to the minimum guaranteed speed. 

The only item that was currently downloading was shown in the screenshot in my original post. I have stopped the download and pulled some more statistics. Both screenshots below

fastspeedtest.png

Screenshot 2023-06-17 223238.png

  

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@callen0712 

Now it is showing 35+ Mbps

What speed are were you told you would get,?  If 150 Mbps theres no guessing why you in or around 100 Mbps and less

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

callen0712
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk 

Correct me if I am wrong, but 35 million bits is 4.3 mb. I suspect it could be my partner using Netflix downstairs, coupled perhaps with background downloads on the sky box. 

I was sold 145 mbs, with a guaranteed minimum of 100 mbs. Currently seeing nowhere near that, with tradional downloads average 6mbs. 

callen0712
Topic Author

I have changed the router password to boot off any other devices, leaving my laptop on a wired connection. Seeing no real improvement in download speed - Sitting at around 6mbs on Steam. Pausing the download on my machine and running the same diagnostics I see the following:

download2.png

@callen0712 

Is that affecting wifi devices or ethernet or both. Your 2..4ghz and 5ghz wifi went off 2-3 minutes before you posted. Any thunderstorms locally

callen0712
Topic Author

No thunderstorms to speak of. Service checker also returns an "All looks good" message.

Issue is across both wifi and wired - using both direct router connections and through a wifi booster. Switching between all connection types I do not see any improvement in download speed.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@callen0712 

Your screenshot shows steam peaked at 12.3MB/s which is 103mbps so your connection is reaching above the minimum. If you are not reaching sustained high download speeds this is almost certainly contention from other devices or background processes on your PC. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion