Discussion topic: Sky router bridge mode (any eta on this being possible)

This message was authored by PernodMan This message was authored by: PernodMan

Sky router bridge mode (any eta on this being possible)

Hi all,

I have recently moved from Virgin Media to Sky and am having what now appear to be "expected" issues with my network configuration.  On my Virgin router, there is a bridge mode, which I have used since the beginning, having had a Netgear D6300, and now an Orbi with 2 satelites.  I've never had an issue with traffic / drop outs etc.

Now I'm on the Sky network, I am having problems with my Plex server not being accessible from the outside world (it is intermittant - works for a few minutes, and then stops, and then randomly works for a few seconds and stops).  I've read various threads on Plex / Netgear / Sky to try and get everything working, but to no avail.

Currently, my Sky router has an address 192.168.0.1 and has given the Orbi a network address of 192.168.0.4.  Orbi then is dishing out addresses in the 192.168.1.x range (as expected).  I have disabled WIFI on the Sky router, and also disabled Wifi on the Sky Q and mini Q boxes.  They are hard wired into the Orbi satelites (so on the 192.168.1.x range).  Again, no issues here with dropouts / disconnections.

However, if I move my Plex server to connect to the Sky router (on the 192.168.0.x range), then it is available externally, and no intermittant drops.  So the issue looks to be a double NAT issue.

I've tried static routes / enabling / disabling upnp, firewall rules, fixed IP, but I can't get a stable connection when trying to have my Plex server available externally on my Orbi network.

I have read threads that advise to put the Orbi in AP mode, which I tried, but then the audio on my Sky mini Q drops every 2 or 3 minutes for a few seconds.  It has also significantly reduced the wifi range around the house (making Orbi pointless), so I have put it back in router mode.

From what I can see, I have below options

1) Wait for Sky to allow the router to have a Bridge mode.  This is my preferred option, but is it likely to happen.

2) Buy a 3rd party router to replace the Q hub - has anyone done this, and is there one with a UK telephone port (for voice calls which are through my Q hub)

3) Go to a different service provided for Broadband / phone (although I am still in contract)

4) Persist in trying routes / DMZ / port forward / upnp until it works.

Realistically, I don't understand why Sky have locked this down (genuine quetion, not a gripe) but is seems to be proving a tricky issue to try and work around.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Jon

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Sky router bridge mode (any eta on this being possible)

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@PernodMan 

No-one has any idea about the Sky Hub integrated-VOIP service: it's too new for anyone to have experimented.  I have great doubts about getting it to work without that specific hardware.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@PernodMan 

There's very unlikely to be a Sky Hub with a bridge / modem mode: Sky are a mass-market domestic ISP, and just can't offer support for the kind of uses that is likely to be put to.  BT Hubs don't have such a mode either.  Virgin have the distinction that as the only UK cable provider, their Hubs are already inherently cable modems ; )

PernodMan
Topic Author

Thanks Timmy - I wasn't aware of the constraint of the BT hubs either.  Good to know for the future!

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

@PernodMan 

Cut the long story short there is no "bridge" mode on any Sky hubs nor the competition. If you want to achieve a bridge connection using a 3rd party router you need to purchase an external modem (not router combo) and the best one on the markey imo is the Vigor 130, many people who i've helped recommend it because i have it and it's very very stable and rock solid. 3rd party routers, well, get one that supports custom firmware like Merlin to get it on Sky. I help people wishing to eliminate Sky's goofy equipment. 😂 Read my sig, most Asus routers support Merlin, even the expensive powerful ones that can get you onto Sky's network

PernodMan
Topic Author

Thanks Muffintastic,

I've had a look at the router, and don't have a problem getting something like the Vigor to workaround the issue I have.  However, my phone line is also through the Sky hub, so I'd need one with a BS 6312 port, if there is one that is known to work.

Ideally, I'd rather not replace my 3rd party router (ORBI) as I've got the satelites configured exactly where and how they're needed (and if I was doing this, I'd probably be as well just re-enabling all the Sky Wifi signals and using their mesh.

Thanks again

Jon

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@PernodMan 

No-one has any idea about the Sky Hub integrated-VOIP service: it's too new for anyone to have experimented.  I have great doubts about getting it to work without that specific hardware.

PernodMan
Topic Author

Cheers Timmy - yeah, the new Skyhub does make it a bit difficult to self serve (and it's the 3rd one I've had after 2 weeks of crackly line and then a random replacement in the post).  Thanks to you and muffin for your time and guidance - I guess I'll have to wait and see what everyone else does in 2025 when the old UK telephone excahnge is switched off and everyone is using something like this.

Jon

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@PernodMan 

I'd suggest the 2025 date is utterly unrealistic, even by the typical standards of Government-backed initiatives.  We'll be riding HS2 to Leeds before the last phone line goes digital ; )

This message was authored by EricCartman666 This message was authored by: EricCartman666

I'm basically having the same problem. For years I've used a Linksys EA9500 with Hyperoptic. Now I've moved to a different flat and being forced to use Sky instead 😞 

What would my options be to still be able to use my Linksys EA9500 as a router? I'm fine buying something else to use as a bridge replacing Sky's modem/router. Installing custom firmware on my linksys would also be fine (if it's at all possible). 

From my understand, using Sky's own modem/router as a bridge is not an option. But some people said I can replace it with something that can be used as a bridge? I just use fibre broadband, don't have any tv or telephone. 

@EricCartman666 

If the Linksys has the option to present MER on its WAN port, then a Draytek Vigor 130 would be the appropriate hardware to put in front of it.

This message was authored by BrummyGit This message was authored by: BrummyGit

I just wanted to add my name to the list of people asking for modem mode (or static routes) as I also wish to use my own router inside my home.

I moved from BT where I was able to do this quite happily, but Sky didn't ensure that I was fully informed that I would get a SOGEA voice service which is now locking me into their router. BT don't currently lock you into their Smart Hub and we know that Virgin offer modem mode in their hub - Sky seem to be the only mainstream ISP with this lock-in.

If I need to stick with the Sky Hub, simply allowing me to add a static route on my LAN to my downstream router and allowing the Sky Hub to manage NAT might be an acceptable solution, however Sky don't even offer that option.

This message was authored by OttoWyrth This message was authored by: OttoWyrth

Hi all,

I am facing the exact same issue that you guys, and this is very frustrating, I'm losing tons of time trying to fix this.

My PLEX is also blocked from remote access, and I use Google Wifi Mesh, which doesn't support MER, so buying a modem to replace Sky Q Hub is not an option neither.

I will simply change ISP, anyone has any recommendation to which one i should go, I have seen peopple recommending Zen internet, any thoughts?

This message was authored by M4Q This message was authored by: M4Q

In case you or others have not been able to resolve this issue, I installed an Eero mesh system recently and encountered the same issue with Plex.

I have resolved this issue and, although i cant guarantee this will work for everyone, I can help with some guidance if you would like it.

I do still have a Double NAT issue which i cant resolve at the moment, but looking to switch to the Draytek V130 to resolve this, i've just been trying to get some confirmation that the Sky Q TV equipment will work with this as well.

@M4Q wrote:

i've just been trying to get some confirmation that the Sky Q TV equipment will work with this as well.

You lose the 'hotspot' functionality of the Q television boxes if you ditch the Sky Hub: without it they function as if Sky isn't the ISP.

This message was authored by M4Q This message was authored by: M4Q

Thats fine as the Eero provides me with far superior wifi coverage in the house than the Sky Q "Hotspot" feature ever has.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion