Discussion topic: Sky hub dropping but even new router dropped on Ethernet after one hour

This message was authored by Nancyb13 This message was authored by: Nancyb13

Sky hub dropping but even new router dropped on Ethernet after one hour

We have been with sky for years with not too many problems. However our WiFi has been terrible inside the house for the last month. Dropping out randomly while our lodger is working on laptop and kids playing Xboxes. We called sky and now have a new router hub 4.2. 

however this new router after being on an hour dropped for a few mins and the internet and WiFi light completely went out (no light at all) So even my work computer plugged in via Ethernet cable dropped. Is this normal? Was it due to it being only just plugged in or do we have a faulty router? Also the WiFi has dropped a few times also. 

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Sky hub dropping but even new router dropped on Ethernet after one hour

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Nancyb13 new hubs often have to update their firmware which usually happens overnight but can happen at other times and will lose connection while the unit reboots if it doesnt repeat thst sounds normal. In many homes a single hub is unsufficent to provide reliable wifi in every room. The SR203 you have been sent has slightly better wifi than the older flat hub largely because the upright form factor allows for more efficent aerials but it may not provide good coverage of your home.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Nancyb13
Topic Author

Thank you. 

we do have a booster and 3 sky q mini boxes but I think the booster may not be working as everything near that keeps dropping. I wondered if I should change the WiFi channel and if this is likely to help? We have a three storey house and most the time WiFi is fine at about 70 but just drops once and a while for a few mins. It's very frustrating and any tips would be welcomed. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Nancyb13 the lights on the bouster will tell you if its connected but you will have to linkmit to the newhub by WPS before it will work. Press the WPS button on the booster until the LED starts flashing and then do thecsame on the hub - the button can be difficult to find on the SR203but it is on the right hand edge in the groove. 😀

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Nancyb13
Topic Author

Yep booster and all boxes connected. 

the booster is in my office where I have my laptop connected via Ethernet cable. But when sat in my office even though all lights on booster my phone WiFi shows but no internet ( this happens lots, but need to see how it is with new router). It's like it isn't picking up the internet. But this happens at random times of the day. 

Thanks for your help. I just need to see how this new router is and hope the Ethernet ones don't drop again. 

one last question do you think I should set the channel, as have done this in the past on old routers. Do you think this may help the dropping? 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion