Discussion topic: Sky box only came with Ethernet and power cable

This message was authored by Brian2023 This message was authored by: Brian2023

Sky box only came with Ethernet and power cable

Opened my sky box the other day only came with 2 cables power and ethenet no rj11 or anything like that now I have a master socket 5c I tried plugging ethenet from sky broadband straight to master box that didn't work and they didn't provide anything else engineer was meant to come on for whatever reason today and never showed either what can I do 

Best Answers
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

Re: Sky box only came with Ethernet and power cable

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Brian2023 

Also copy and paste the notes below

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Brian2023 

With ethernet it looks like you may be getting fulj fibre optic

If you enter your full postal address below and post the table after removing your address from the image we will advise

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

@Brian2023 

Also copy and paste the notes below

Brian2023
Topic Author

 this is coming up can I just go and buy the grey wire for now while I'm waiting on engineer and use that in the master socket or no 

IMG_0752.png

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Brian2023 

On the day of installation openreach will install a fibre optic modem (ont) the ethernet you received will connect the ont to lan port 4 on your sky hub. You no longer require a dsl cable

P.S the notes below the table may indicate why openreach were a no show

@Brian2023 

Ah, you did i found it.  L2c means that openreach require a hoist/cherry to complete the install

***Edit thls can take a while due to availability of trained persnnel and to be honest may not be until the new year

@Brian2023 

@Brian2023 wrote:

 this is coming up can I just go and buy the grey wire for now while I'm waiting on engineer and use that in the master socket or no 

IMG_0752.png

You should be able to use the dsl cable so long as openreach didn't disconnect you prior to finding out they couldn't install your new connection

Brian2023
Topic Author

Cheers mate much approached il pick one up tomorrow should do for now until they install a new box I know what you mean also it will be like a router and u can connect straight with Ethernet because the box they are installing doesn't require dsl cable I know thanks again 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Brian2023 Sky hubs are combined modem routers with FTTC services you connect to the modem portion using the rj11 input from the phone socket. For FTTP, or full fibre service the modem stage is no longer required as the new ONT unit effectively is the "modem" so you connect an ethernet cable from thst unit to the WAN port on the Sky hub. The hub's router stage works as before. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion