Discussion topic: Sky Q and Broadband

This message was authored by scottishscouser This message was authored by: scottishscouser

Sky Q and Broadband

Hello. Long time since I have come to the forums. 

I have 1 main box and 2 minis. Everytime I call SKY they send an engineer out with a sales pitch to upgrade my package and provide another booster. I have 3! However I have decided to hard wire the set top boxes to the router and disconnect the WiFi on the Q equipment. 

As if by magic my WiFi speed has jumped and no requirement for the boosters. Any reason what has changed? 

Best Answers
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

Re: Sky Q and Broadband

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@scottishscouser 

You've wired the boxes up so there is no requirement for them to use WiFi as a backhaul for connection. This both frees up WiFi airspace as well as means you do not need boosters to keep the signal strong. Since boosters prioritise range over speed you may well see an increase in overall speed when not using boosters.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

Re: Sky Q and Broadband

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@scottishscouser 

You've wired the boxes up so there is no requirement for them to use WiFi as a backhaul for connection. This both frees up WiFi airspace as well as means you do not need boosters to keep the signal strong. Since boosters prioritise range over speed you may well see an increase in overall speed when not using boosters.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion