Discussion topic: Sky Max Hub + Port Forwarding Issues + Some weird DNS + MySky

This message was authored by Goose01 This message was authored by: Goose01

Sky Max Hub + Port Forwarding Issues + Some weird DNS + MySky

Hey

We've recently set up Sky in our flat and got the Sky Max Hub.  I've brought my NAS to this house from a house that had Sky (Model SR203) and we never had any issues, never had to manually port forward etc.  It just worked.

Plex + Port Forwarding + MySky app

Plex is not accessible outside of the house on Port 32400.  I've enabled UPnP, even checked this post by Chrisee in case I was being dumb, and it still hasn't worked.

I can't manually port forward as 192.168.0.1/myrouter.io tells me to use the MySky app, phoned up Sky yesterday and apparently I needed the Sky WiFi Max subscription to Port Foward (insane, but alright), still can't see it in MySky App.  When I try it on sky.com, it tells me there was an unexcepted error when I click Advanced Settings.

DNS

I have a custom domain (crybaby.scot) that redirects to 192.168.0.29.  This again worked in the previous house, but doesn't in this one.  The only way I can get it to work is by changing the DNS on devices manually to 1.1.1.1.  Whatever DNS the Sky Max Hub is using, is somehow blocking it from working.

Any ideas on any of these?  It's driving me insane that a simple Hub difference has broke a setup that's worked for years.  I even plugged the NAS back in at the previous house after resetting the SR203 hub to factory settings and it just worked.  This Max Hub seems garbo!

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Sky Max Hub + Port Forwarding Issues + Some weird DNS + MySky

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Goose01 you do not need the Sky WiFi Max sub to set up port forwarding on a Sky Max hub.  The setting is in My Sky/Broadband/Product Settings/Sky Max hub/ Advanced setings you select the device running the Plex server from the list of attached devices and then set up the ports you want to forward and save the changes.  

Sky DNS cannot point to an internal IP address like 192.168.0.29 but neither can any other DNS for that matter. Using Clodflare's DNS where Sky's DNS is not finding a domain is sensible. Major public DNS servers like Google's and Cloudflare are quicker at picking up lesser used domains.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Goose01 

As @Chrisee says, the 16-bit private address block 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255 isn't routable across the internet and a DNS service with error checking should reject it.

If it has been working previously, where was the address record held?

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Goose01
Topic Author
This message was authored by Goose01 This message was authored by: Goose01

I tried to quote reply but not sure if the helpforum allows that.

@Chrisee- so I phoned up Sky on Sunday night explaining that I had no access to Port Forwarding in the MySky app or on the Sky.com website, Advanced Settings doesn't exist there.

Goose01_0-1727799225063.png

I can see Advanced Settings under https://www.sky.com/myaccount/bb-and-talk, but when I click on it it only gives me WiFi Security Level and that throws an error.

And the person that I spoke to advised that I needed to Sky WiFi Max Sub (£10/month) to be able to Port Forward or use DMZ.  Is this not the case then?   It did seem a bit weird to have to pay for it but the person was pretty convincing.

@Chrisee @TimmyBGood 

For the DNS mention.  At our previous house where we also had Sky, we had a Sky Q Hub that was just factory settings minus the SSID and password were changed (Home/Password).  My NAS is on 192.168.0.29 and instead of having to go to that IP every time, I just point crybaby.scot to that IP Address on Cloudflare, so I put in crybaby.scot and it resolves to 192.168.0.29.  

I took my NAS back to the previous house today and tried it and it still works the same way, but for whatever reason with the Sky Max Hub I have to set the DNS on my phone and computer to 1.1.1.1 for it to work, whereas with the Sky Q Hub I don't need to change the DNS - so something funky is going on there.

For benefit of doubt, I am obviously not expecting that to work externally.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Goose01 

Having crybaby.scot hosted in cloudflare pointing to a local address doesnt make any sense though.

Your nas should register its local DNS hostname when it gets an IP from the router. When you navigate to it on your LAN, no lookups should be done to any upstream DNS servers because the host exists within your LAN.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

@Goose01 you apoear to have been given innaccurate advice by that agent as the port forwarding option should be in the app without buyig the add-on. Hopefully it was a genuine mistake rather than a clumsy attempt at an up=sale.

As it appears your app has nor been set up correctly i am escalating uour post to the Sky team who support the forum who should be in touch soon to offer you a private chat session to get this sorted. Keep an eye on the forum as if you miss the message just click the chat icon which will be added to the forum pages for you to use.saving a long phone call.

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Addie15 This message was authored by: Addie15

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi there! Thank you for escalating this. We have sent an invite to @Goose01.

This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Posted by a Sky employee

We are still looking to help you Goose01 . If you need our support let us know and we can re-escalate to our chat team. Your invite has been closed now. Thanks

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert
This message was authored by Aarong8 This message was authored by: Aarong8

Hi @Lisa-P1987

I appear to have having the exact some issue as OP. Whenever i try to change any of my settings in sky.com I'm presented with the same errors.

@Aarong8 you have to use the My Sky app to change the settings on the Max hub you cant do thst from the website.

Morning @Chrisee,
Yes I did try to edit the settings in the app, but I also don't have access to them there. I only have access to broadband shield and internet security in the app for some strange reason. 
Been trying to portforward so has been a bit of a nightmare

IMG_9605.PNG

@Aarong8 if after signing out of the app, closing it fully then re-opening it and digning back in you cant see the setting call Sky as they need to get the control added. Seemscto happen rzndomly thst some accounts are missed.

@Chrisee 

I've just called them and they've said that as I just had broadband installed last week it can take up to two weeks to update in the app... unbelievable. Is that normal or was the phone agent just unsure? 

@Aarong8 Inthink that was an agent msking things up so I have escalated your post to the Sky team who support the forum who should be in touch soon to offer you a private chat session to get this sorted - they know what they are talking about. Keep an eye on the forum as if you miss the message just click the chat icon which will be added to the forum pages for you to use.saving a long phone call.

@Chrisee Thanks so much, really appreciate you doing that for me!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion