Discussion topic: Sky Gigafast Problem

This message was authored by PaulH369 This message was authored by: PaulH369

Sky Gigafast Problem

Hi,

I have recently upgraded from Sky Ultrafast 500mb to Gigafast 900mb. 

I'm 10 feet away from the Openreach cabinet so have always got the top speeds available. 

Since upgrading my speeds have not changed still coming in around 500mb on all the speed tests. Also I can't get over 100mb on any of my wired Ethernet cabled devices even though Gigabit Ethernet is selected. 

Sky don't seem to have a clue how to fix it. Any help Appreciated. 

Screenshot_20220602-083508_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220602-083438_Samsung Internet.jpg

All Replies

This message was authored by JPR007 This message was authored by: JPR007

Re: Sky Gigafast Problem

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@PaulH369 The distance from the cabinet is irrelevant for an FTTP (full fibre) service, it's only an issue on the old copper (FTTC) lines where the longer the line the slower it gets.

When did the switch happen? It seems from a number of reports when people upgrade that the profiles can take up to 72hrs to update, so keep an eye on it for a couple of days.

The Ethernet speed problem is to do with Sky firmware, it's rearing it's head more and more now as people are getting higher speeds like yours. Sky of course do not acknowledge any such issue. The firmware/routing is throttling the speed to 10/100 speeds as opposed to 10/100/1000 even though the physical connection is gigabit. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

** No - I have nothing to do with Sky **
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@PaulH369 

Worth noting proximity to the cabinet makes no difference to FTTP: that's for FTTC (because copper cable length is significant). The optical cable probably doesn't even come from there.

500Mbs is already very good speed for WiFi and may well be the maximum your other hardware (not the fibre) can handle.

The ethernet should be capable of gigabit as long as all the hardware involved is capable of that: a single 100Mbs switch would bottleneck everything though.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
PaulH369
Topic Author

Hi, 

It's been 10 days and still at 500mb. 

PaulH369
Topic Author

Thanks for replies. Sky said I can check the speed to the Router in the router settings but as you can see from the pics it says 0. 

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@PaulH369That is because the speed is not shown on the router because of the ONT, which the router connects to.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
PaulH369
Topic Author

Thanks. So there is really no way then to test that I'm getting 900mb vs the 500 I had? 

All the speeds in house are the same and the router doesn't show the speed. 

PaulH369
Topic Author

Would it he worth swapping out the Sky Hub for a third party one so I can get faster ethernet connections? 

This message was authored by TechmanagerMal This message was authored by: TechmanagerMal

@JPR007 wrote:

@PaulH369 The distance from the cabinet is irrelevant for an FTTP (full fibre) service, it's only an issue on the old copper (FTTC) lines where the longer the line the slower it gets.

When did the switch happen? It seems from a number of reports when people upgrade that the profiles can take up to 72hrs to update, so keep an eye on it for a couple of days.

The Ethernet speed problem is to do with Sky firmware, it's rearing it's head more and more now as people are getting higher speeds like yours. Sky of course do not acknowledge any such issue. The firmware/routing is throttling the speed to 10/100 speeds as opposed to 10/100/1000 even though the physical connection is gigabit. 

• The jury is still out on this, the OP was getting 500Mbps as am I so it's not entirely the firmware "throttling" the speed.
  • Edited to apologise to @JPR007 for not reading the OP properly, however, I am able to get over 100Mbps on a 500Mbps tier with Sky Q on, its 400Mbps that I struggle with.
Passing on the tips I have learned in over 24 years as a more than satisfied Sky customer.

This message was authored by JPR007 This message was authored by: JPR007

@TechmanagerMal The OP referred to Ethernet speeds being capped at 100Mb, the WiFi speeds have been as good as can be expected - 500Mb. I myself experience the Ethernet speed throttling (it has no bearing on WiFi), albeit on internal network speed, as I'm not lucky enough to be within reach of proper fibre 🤓

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

** No - I have nothing to do with Sky **
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@JPR007 wrote:

. The firmware/routing is throttling the speed to 10/100 speeds as opposed to 10/100/1000 even though the physical connection is gigabit. 

Almost certainly only where there's also an infrastructure of Q Mini boxes and boosters though.

PaulH369
Topic Author

It just seems a bit stupid to get paying £120 a year over Ultrafast for Gigafast and getting the same speeds and service? 

Would third party router fix all this?

This message was authored by TechmanagerMal This message was authored by: TechmanagerMal

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@JPR007 wrote:

. The firmware/routing is throttling the speed to 10/100 speeds as opposed to 10/100/1000 even though the physical connection is gigabit. 

Almost certainly only where there's also an infrastructure of Q Mini boxes and boosters though.

• Again, not on my infrastructure?
Passing on the tips I have learned in over 24 years as a more than satisfied Sky customer.

@PaulH369 

Not getting close to the advertised speed from a wired connection indicates a problem somewhere (assuming the client device has a gigabit chipset and driver stack).  WiFi is very unlikely to deliver gigabit even with expensive infrastructure: fundamentally wireless is designed for flexibility, not throughput.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@PaulH369 

Can you post screenshots of the ethernet status on the device you are using? It shouldnt be limited to 100mbps.

As for WiFi, i agree with others that 500mbps is very good to one device and you cant expect more than that from a basic Sky router. If you want blazing fast speeds to single devices over WiFi then you'll need a 3rd party router. 

You need to keep in mind that Ultrafast & Gigafast are designed for busy households with many concurrent connections, it is not designed to give you 1gbps over WiFi to one device, nobody needs that amount of wireless bandwidth to a single device. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion