Sky Fibre really slow and connection lost when PC witched on (LAN)

Answered
Go to Answer
Researcher
Post 1 of 9

Sky Fibre really slow and connection lost when PC witched on (LAN)

Hi there,

I had zero problems with my internet for over a year until the other day when everything was unplugged for painting a room. Now, all set up again my Sky Fibre speeds are incredibly slow and when I turn my PC on in the other room (Connected to LAN via powerline adapter) the router literally loses connection and the middle light goes off. It then takes a lot of resetting the PC and router to get the connection back. 

I've had to use a wifi adapter to create this post.

Laptop on Wifi is fine, so are mobile phones, PS4 connects with LAN no problem (apart from the slow speed, tests show download rate is around 1.6mbps)

Router stats are below. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Router Statistics
System Up Time: 00:22:49
PortStatusTxPktsRxPktsCollision PktsTx b/sRx b/sUp Time
WANMER583028317500000:06:27
LANUp170654123645320000:22:49
WLAN (2.4 GHz)Up6299000000:19:34
WLAN (5 GHz)Up14909453300000:19:09

Broadband LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed14089 kbps9509 kbps
Line Attenuation33.3 dB39.1 dB
Noise Margin6.7 dB6.6 dB
Answer

Best Answers
Answer
Researcher
Post 7 of 9

Re: Sky Fibre really slow and connection lost when PC witched on (LAN)

All sorted now! An engineer came round to do some tests. All came down to a faulty filter! All problems resolved! Smiley Happy

All Replies
Oracle
Post 2 of 9

Hi @LtCalumbo your conection dropped some 6 minutes before you took those stats and the hub rebooted some 20 mniutes before.

Unless you rebooted yourself check that all of the leads are properly connected especially the mains supply and that unless you have a prefiltered faceplate that the line filter is being used properly, if it is worth trying a different one. If everything is properly connected and the drops continue call Sky as it maybe your hub has gone bad - often electronics will show fauls when reconnectedcafter a period of no use.

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Camera Assistant
Post 3 of 9

@LtCalumbo First thing to confirm would be whether anything has changed since putting everything back together after painting?

Researcher
Post 4 of 9

Hi there,

Thanks for the replies.

Everything has been plugged back in exactly the way as before before. The maintenance results will show the resetting of the router because that was me manually doing it. 

A sky engineer is coming about the low speed on Tuesday as they say there's something to do wit hthe line needing looked at.

I'm not convinced that's related to the router losing internet completely (all devices lose it) if my PC is turned on (with a LAN connection).

Cheers

C

Oracle
Post 5 of 9

@LtCalumbo It has been known for Powerline adapters to cause Interference with the VDSL signals on your phoneline. Try moving the powerline adapter to a different wall mains socket than the one the hub is plugged into. It could be you may need to use a filtered mains lead for your hub. 

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Researcher
Post 6 of 9

Hi there, sorry for the late reply, I've been away. I'll give that a try. They've been working in the same sockets for over a year though without killing the internet. :/

Cheers

C

Answer
Researcher
Post 7 of 9

All sorted now! An engineer came round to do some tests. All came down to a faulty filter! All problems resolved! Smiley Happy

Camera Assistant
Post 8 of 9

Great to hear @LtCalumbo!

Did Sky not initially ask you to try a different filter? You should not have needed an engineer for this and seems a bit of a waste of time for you Smiley Happy

Researcher
Post 9 of 9

Nope. Well, at first they thought the problem was external so an engineer visited when I was at work. Then they phoned to say it must be internal and arranged a visit Smiley Frustrated

Recommended Threads
11-04-2018 05:39 PM
27-04-2018 01:07 PM
18-03-2018 02:25 PM
02-04-2018 11:08 PM
24-04-2018 08:32 PM