Discussion topic: Sky Fibre but no OTN

This message was authored by Mark020 This message was authored by: Mark020

Sky Fibre but no OTN

I have Sky Fibre being activated tomorrow the Sky engineer is booked for the afternoon 

My question is - Openreach attended last week and installed the Fibre to a grey box on the outside of the house. Sky sent the new router ready for tomorrow but I can't see the OTN. I'm assuming that this goes inside my house next to the router so where is it?

Does the Sky engineer bring it or is it already in the grey Openreach box outside my house?

Can anyone help?

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Sky Fibre but no OTN

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mark020 

Great: that's exactly how it's supposed to work.  It's just a shame that ISPs don't explain the process better.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

Mark020
Topic Author

Just to add, I haven't broken the seal on the router box so it could be in with the router I don't know

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Mark020 

The ONT (Optical Network Terminal) is Openreach hardware, not something Sky provides in advance (and there's no room for one in a Hub box).  It's a powered device which goes inside your property, on the end of an optical fibre pigtail coming from that external 'grey box' (which is the Customer Service Point)

ONT.jpg

Either Sky thinks, from Openreach records, that your ONT is in place, or the second stage installation is booked but not completed and the Hub has been despatched in advance of the booking.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/optical-network-terminal 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Mark020 wrote:

I have Sky Fibre being activated tomorrow the Sky engineer is booked for the afternoon 

That probably means that the second stage installation, including fibre splicing and ONT setup, is going to be carried out by Sky personnel: this is still relatively rare, but does happen.  They will bring the ONT.

Mark020
Topic Author

Thanks for the reply, to be fair I remembered that the Openreach engineer said that Sky would connect a cable from the external grey box and take it inside the house

Just got a feeling that something will go wrong tomorrow with the changeover. The Openreach engineer definitely didn't leave any hardware when he left our house after connecting the fibre to the grey box

I'll update tomorrow after the visit

@Mark020 wrote:

The Openreach engineer definitely didn't leave any hardware when he left our house after connecting the fibre to the grey box

That's fine: whoever is coming to do the fusion splicing will bring the ONT.

Mark020
Topic Author

Just to update the thread. Sky engineer turned up and did the external splicing and she supplied the Openreach OTN 

All up and running in just under 1 hour

Thanks 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@Mark020 

Great: that's exactly how it's supposed to work.  It's just a shame that ISPs don't explain the process better.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion