Sky Fibre Broadband DSL Settings for third party router

Runner
Post 1 of 18

Sky Fibre Broadband DSL Settings for third party router

I've been using the standard Sky modem/router for some time now and a second ASUS router as an Access Point to increase the WIFI. Recently I purchased an ASUS DSL-AC68U in order to replace the sky router and increase the WIFI signal further. The setup wizard on the router worked and I can connect to the internet, however at a slower than normal speed. Before the router upgrade I was getting just under 70mbps (wired) and now I'm getting just under 50mbps (wired). The connection also drops at times with my router complaining about about my ISP DNS server. I've never had internet issues before. While researching the issue I read about wiresharking the network to get the sky username and password for the router as well as getting the MAC broadband address. I don't think they're needed anymore as I haven't needed to input them anywhere but I do have them just in case they still are required.

Below are my WAN and DSL settings, could someone verify if they are correct or help me regain internet stability and my internet speed. I haven't called Sky support yet as I fear they would just tell me to use their sky router, which I don't want to do as I paid for the DSL modem in my new router and also don't want a double NAT.

WAN settings:
WAN Type: DSL, VDSL WAN (PTM)

WAN Connection Type: Automatic IP
(Options: Static IP, PPPoE)

Enable WAN: yes
Enable NAT: yes
Enable UPnP: yes

802.1Q
Enable: yes
VLAN ID: 101 (0-4095)
802.1P: 0 (0-7)

WAN DSL Settings
Connect to DNS server automatically: yes

Special Requirement from ISP
MAC address:

DHCP query frequency: normal mode
(Options: aggressive)

Common Settings

DSL modulation: Auto Sync-up
(Options: T1.413, G.lite, G.Dmt, ADSL2, ADSL2+, VDSL2)

ANNEX Mode: ANNEX B/J
(Options: ANNEX A, ANNEX I, ANNEX A/L, ANNEX M, ANNEX A/J/J/M/L, ANNEX B, ANNEX B/J)

Country/ ISP specific settings: disabled

Dynamic line adjustment (DLA): Enabled

SRA (Seamless Rate Adaptation): Enabled

G.INP (G.998.4) Enabled (Try To connect with G.INP Enabled)

ADSL Settings

Stability Adjustment: Disabled

Rx AGC GAIN Adjustment: Default
(Options: Stable, high performance)

ESNP - Enhanced sudden Noise Protection: Default
(Options: Stable)

Bitswap: Enabled

VDSL Settings

VDSL Profile: 30a multi mode
(options: 17a,12a,8a)

Stability Adjustment: Disabled (current SNR magin: 8.2 dB)
(Options: 2 - 30 dB)

Rx AGC GAIN Adjustment: Default
(Options: Stable, Balance, High performance)

UPBO Upstream Power Back Off: Auto

Bitswap: Enabled

G.vector (G.993.5): Enabled

Non-Standard G.vector (G.993.5): Disabled

Thank you for any help

All Replies
Oracle
Post 2 of 18

Re: Sky Fibre Broadband DSL Settings for third party router

I cant really comment on your pasted settings since I dont think they show what we really need to see.

Have you check to see if the router you bought is actually compatible with Sky fibre? It needs to be capable of MER/Option 61 authentication. You may want to have a look at its spec.

I am not sure how you've managed to just connect without inputting anything as if you want to connect to Sky's fibre network you need a router that is Option 61 compatible and you need to put the following string in the username box to authenticate; anything@skydsl|anything

Runner
Post 3 of 18

I might have inputted the username and password during the setup, I've tried so many things I can't even remember but the I definitely haven't used the MAC address as the space is left blank and if I enter the MAC address the internet doesn't work.

I'm haven't found anything about the MER/Option 61 authentication but I'm sure most third party routers must support it or is that not the case?

I'm not sure about the WAN settings, when I was on the Sky router I'm sure it said PPPoE with a PPP username of:

**email address removed** and password: install however now, on my asus router, it says automatic IP instead of PPPoE.

Oracle
Post 4 of 18

I am not aware of any MAC address needed for Sky authentication so i do not think that is your problem.

MER/Option 61 is pretty much only used by Sky as far as I am aware, its quite unfriendly and I hope they change it soon but I doubt it. You'll likely find that a lot of 3rd party routers dont actually support connecting to Sky Fibre lines or at least not reliably. 

The PPPoE connection method is for ADSL lines NOT Sky fibre lines. Sky fibre uses PTM/MER/Option 61 DHCP. See if you can find any of these listed in the router. 

Researcher
Post 5 of 18

I'm with james on this - you would normally have to input login details of some sort to connect - your settings state PPPoE but I think it should be more like DHCP with Client ID.

When you mention that the router complains about the ISP DNS......where are you seeing this?

ISP provided hardware has never been the greatest in terms of the router but I think the modems (and now internal) have always been top notch, i'm still using the Huawei EchoLife HG612 OpenReach branded modem.

The problem you'll have is I don't think you'll ever be able to get the stats required for people here to do any troubleshooting and as you already fear, Sky certainly won't help you and obviously no one can blaim them there.

Just depends how you want to tackle it and if you're stuck with the new router you have purchased?..... and what your existing Asus router is you used as an access point - potentially use that with custom firmware and a separate modem like the one i mentioned above.

Runner
Post 6 of 18

All I found about my router was that it supports: ATM and PTM (dual-priority)

I have no idea if that means it's compatible, not compatible or somewhat compatible with Sky.

Can I disable all routing functionality of the sky modem/router in order to just use it as a modem and avoid double NAT problems?

Oracle
Post 7 of 18

You need to lookup its authentication compatible methods, PTM is traffic type I believe

Also no you cannot turn the Sky router into a modem unfortunately, this is the main reason people try and use their own routers as there is no way of disabling the firewall on the Sky router and turning into a modem so you would be stuck with double NAT 

Researcher
Post 8 of 18

I've done a bit of googling and found a post regarding your router and it should be an option when going through the quick setup to choose 'Sky Fibre' as a connection............i've not read it all but some people still suggest using a HG612 modem in front of it due to issues they have

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-broadband-fibre-help/56812-heres-how-asus-dsl-ac68u-working-sky-f...

Not great having to spend more money but you can grab those modems for less than a tenner from ebay just  make sure you get one marked '3B' if you do, which would then free you to use an AP of your choice. I'm on the oldest hardware revisions of those modems and get 80/20 no problem through it.

Runner
Post 9 of 18

The link you posted doesn't work I'm afraid.

I was thinking of, as you said, just getting a modem then it should all work. I find it difficult to find any details on the DHCP option 61 thing. Most modems/routers will simply say compatible with Sky/BT/Virgin or nothing at all. If the asus modem that I currently have doesn't support DHCP option 61 shouldn't I get no internet at all? Which should imply that it does support it because I do get internet albeit at a slower speed. 
Also what are the DHCP 61 options are they the sky username and password? 

Researcher
Post 10 of 18

Sorry about that, try Link

The main bit that was interesting was:

"For anyone that reads this i appear to have sorted issue, i had to disable G.INP in DSL settings, once disabled and rebooted i got a connection, i replicated problem by enabling again, so it is staying disabled"

Whilst it worked for him I for one would have changed the modem to have been able to take advantage of g.inp and used the 68u in router only mode..

Runner
Post 11 of 18

Thanks for the link. I did try that but go no internet at all. Also the error message I get when there isn't an internet connection is "DHCP connection failed". The problem is that there is internet at the moment but just at half the speed that I should be getting. Is it possible that Sky is throttling my connection for whatever reason?

Researcher
Post 12 of 18

No, they would not purposely throttle your connection.

Not sure if it's possible and someone please correct me if i'm talking waffle but if your modem is having issues then the exchange might drop your connection down but looking at the stats you posted, the little bit of info you can see is the noise margin (i think) which looks ok and I don't think it would drop you down by that much anyway.

I've downloaded your router manual but there's no info about the process for setting up the WAN other than using the wizard but doesn't actually give any info, can you post a screen shot of the settings or anything that you think looks relevant?

Oracle
Post 13 of 18

You've likely triggered DLM to set your line at a lower speed because the router your using was probably producing a lot of errors and/or disconnecting frequently. The best way to get DLM stable again is to reconnect the Sky router

Edit: yeah looking at your noise margin on the router info you posted earlier it seems its been raised from the normal 6 so I'd be careful what you do from now on otherwise you may ruin your line because sometimes DLM will not raise your speed again at which point you'll require an Openreach engineer to come out and reset it all. 

Highlighted
Runner
Post 14 of 18

I've switched back to the sky router for the moment and I get the same down/up speeds as with the asus router. I'll leave it connected for the time being and see if the speeds change.

Before switching back to the Sky router I did try reconfiguring the asus router and during the setup I didn't need to enter the Sky username and password. I have no idea if the credentials are hidden somewhere and it's using them or if for some reason they're not needed anymore.

Anyhow, I'll keep you updated with progress and thanks a lot for your help! It's very much appreciated!

Oracle
Post 15 of 18

You've definitely triggered DLM then if the speed is the same on the Sky router now. Just keep in mind that it can take 2-3 weeks for DLM to sort itself out again. 

Not sure what the Asus router is configuring itself with then but you do need the login string i posted earlier or it wont work properly. 

Recommended Threads
Oracle 07-12-2018 07:45 PM
10-08-2018 07:08 PM
Oracle 12-09-2018 08:12 PM
Oracle 02-11-2018 08:27 PM
26-11-2018 07:34 AM